support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Software BiaB Help - How hard is it to...

Ok, so after hours of fooling around, with me playing the role of the fool, I think I have what I was looking for. However, no matter what I did for a long time, the count-in would be there when I played, but not be in the rendered file. I swear this is a bug, because after trying every setting on and off, it re-appeared. Changing the count-in format didn't change that, either. You have to quit the app and run it again, apparently. Also, in render, I check 'normalise' and it isn't normalised. I've noticed, in fact, that many of the provided tracks aren't normalised, so I usually do it in my software here. It's easy to normalise in Audacity. Better in the original, though rather than in the mp3.

It means bring up the base volume to the highest peak. Tracks not normalised are low in volume.

BEFORE

Software - BiaB Help - How hard is it to... | Page 2 | CafeSaxophone Forum.jpg

NORMALISED

Software - BiaB Help - How hard is it to... | Page 2 | CafeSaxophone Forum-1.jpg

As far as I remember you have to do 3 things in order to get clicks as lead in in an audio file:
1. In BIAB Preferences select "Play lean-in even if Intro present"
2. In BIAB Preferences, also select "Audible Lead in", and choose the sort of lead-in you want.
3. When you render the audio to a file, select the "Include 2-bar lead in" in the pop-up dialog box

Note that 1 and 2 will apply to all BIAB files.

I remember it as applying a constant amount of gain to a recording bringing the amplitude to the target level, which would be the 'norm'. The same amount of gain applied across the recording means the signal-to-noise dynamics are unchanged.

Yes, the effect can be seen clearly in the example above, there's a loud note about 1/3 from the beginning, and that level was raised to 1 db below the ceiling, I think, making the whole thing louder without ruining the dynamics (relative volumes). Some rock recordings compress the file first so there are no peaks and then slam it to the top to give a pop, a high energy sound. That does remove the dynamics.

Guys, I really appreciate the insight. I just spent about a half hour on an original tune with a simple form. After a few delete inserts, I think I have it. The end result is pretty cool, once you figure out a lot of the quirks! Since the recording render doesn't normalise, I just raised the master volume a little and that worked ok.

The main thing with biab is reading all of the menu offered and making sure you tic all the options you require.
The count in is an option on the render menu. However some styles use different parts of the drumkit and don't sound.

Some of the menus have further menus. It can be quite frustrating.

It does remember the options you chose last time.

For endings I use the tag feature. The number of bars in the tag and where you start it will affect what it does. Sometimes one instrument continues regardess. I delete that instrument and regenerate that instrument. It's a great bit of kit but can be frustrating.

I'm working on a song right now that has dotted quarter notes over two bars that the band should accent. Is there a way the bar structure can be told to do that?

"Band should accent" means chords and drums. It's possible that with some combination of all those check boxes and fields, it can happen, but I don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask this slightly different question. Is there a way to affect how the rhythm of the accompaniment works in a bar or group of bars? For example, I've now learned with the help from café denizens how to get the bass on 2 and 4. That sort falls in the same category.I understand that styles have an algorithmic formula to incorporate the general character of a genre, and the soloists (which I never use) do the same with famous artists. Outside of and in addition to styles, what other interesting things can be done with all those check boxes and text fields to customize a BiaB arrangement? I haven't tried it, but it look like you can actually spell out individual chords? Is there an equivalent for rhythm?

Thanks for the suggestion. The only reason I am reticent is that this is low priority, I just thought some of you more advance users might know here. Joining my 1,001st forum is low on the list.

Calling you folks again. Is there a way to spell out chords exactly? It's hard to name quartal harmony. Ideally, I have about 5 four-note chords to put in a four bar area. I haven't yet found a way in chord builder, but maybe you have?