All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Software BiaB Help - How hard is it to...

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
If @randulo uses his audio file with the unusual chords, BiaB may come up with some interesting chords that are similar-sounding and it does know how to deal with.
Interesting, Rhys! I imported midi, but it didn't "hear" the right chords. I need to mess a lot more with it, but that cuts into my practice time and right now I'm on a roll with that.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Cover your ears, @Wade Cornell (or eyes?).

Is there a repertory of standards in BiaB format, as there is for iReal Pro? Incidentally, thanks to @Pete Effamy I found out you can render in separate tracks. I never knew that and it makes things a lot better, more flexible to mix and you could add effects or turn a track on and off.

Found this:

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Locality
Surrey, UK
A couple of sources I know of, but the standards of the standards varies a lot (i.e. don't always trust the changes or the key or the melody or the taste of the creator).

Just Chords: BiaB Resources

Norton Music Table of Contents

I think if you search around you will find more, but sites come and go and there is a lot of overlap in material covered and actual files provided.

Rhys

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
Cover your ears, @Wade Cornell (or eyes?).

Is there a repertory of standards in BiaB format, as there is for iReal Pro? Incidentally, thanks to @Pete Effamy I found out you can render in separate tracks. I never knew that and it makes things a lot better, more flexible to mix and you could add effects or turn a track on and off.

Found this:

It is possible to export from iReal Pro to BiaB. It tried it once but somehow the ending of the song was a bit messed up. There could be a setting or some settings in BiaB which resolve this. Rather than lose some of my life trying to find out how to fix it, I just manually entered the changes into BiaB.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
BiaB is complicated on endings for sure. I haven't seen how to export from iReal? I know I was able to dump the entire collection when I changed computers.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Here's another one. But some of the arrangements are poor.
Index of /biab

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
It is possible to export from iReal Pro to BiaB. It tried it once but somehow the ending of the song was a bit messed up. There could be a setting or some settings in BiaB which resolve this. Rather than lose some of my life trying to find out how to fix it, I just manually entered the changes into BiaB.
Can you remember how you exported from iReal Pro to BIAB?

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
Can you remember how you exported from iReal Pro to BIAB?
If I remember correctly (I don't have my iPad with me at the moment).... I think there's a "share" button somewhere in iReal Pro, which gives you the option to select MusicXML format. These can be opened by BiaB, but I'm not certain they are fully (or correctly) supported. I only tried with a single song - maybe there's a way to export the whole library. Or, maybe there's a way to export the Jazz 1350 Standards song list directly from the iRealb forum in MusicXML, but I haven't found it ...

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
@Mark Hancock what I do know is that there's an HTML output to dump all or as much as you like to one file.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
On the MacOS version. It allows you to move (share).

Backup! It's called.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
So what's funny is that BiaB "Import" doesn't include XML files, but "Open Special" does! And I thought music notation was hard. BiaB interface is one of the toughest challenges of the 20th century! (Let alone, the 21st)
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 15.48.17.png

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Greetings, BiaB users. Here's something I just discovered that should solve most of the problems I have grumbled about mentioned.

Exporting to MIDI
Don't know why this hadn't occurred to me earlier, but using "Save special"->"Save as a MIDI file" is the answer to all my thoughts and prayers.

Importing to Logic (or other software)
In Logic, I just open the MIDI file. It uses sounds determined by some MIDI tables, but basically, the instruments are very easy to change. In Logic, you can then:
  • Change the bass sound
  • Add a Logic drummer track or modify the existing track
  • change the harmony (one of my main pet peeves was that you can't easily use quartal harmony in comping)
  • make arrangement changes to get better intros, accents, punches, shots, etc
For example, you may like the bass line but want it to double the saxophone at a certain moment.
  • duplicate a track to use at the same time on another sound (unison, a fifth or octave or any interval)
  • add, remove or change effects
  • add, remove or change notes, obviously
  • change tempo or groove within the song

Change anything on any track!

Ok, yes, it's a lot of work to get what you want, but still easier than herding cats getting people to play your music together.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6