support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Bestro Saxes

Bigtwin

Account Closed
Has anyone heard of Bestro saxes? All I know of this (potential Sop purchase) is that it is American, and not especially vintage - probably in the 10-30 year old range. Searches of all kinds seem to throw up nothing - any wisdom out there? Cheers.

Has anyone heard of Bestro saxes? All I know of this (potential Sop purchase) is that it is American, and not especially vintage - probably in the 10-30 year old range. Searches of all kinds seem to throw up nothing - any wisdom out there? Cheers.

Personally I would suggest copying and posting a picture for starters! Never heard of it myself-don't think many others shall too,in my personal opinion it may be Asian/Mexican with a suppliers name stamped upon it.If you are honestly wishing to buy any sax,go for something that has been heard of.

there hasn't been any saxophone made in the USA for many, many years so its highly unlikely that this Bestro soprano is anything else than a Chinese saxophone saying something like " supervised by USA technicians " or whatever to that effect.
That doesn't necessarily mean it is bad but definitely not an American made instrument.

Thanks all. I don't have a picture of it, and I've not seen it as it's a way away from where I live. All I know is that it is straight, and was purchased from an American serviceman in South America some years ago. Was just an interesting proposition, and a potentially interesting instrument. It's not especially cheap, reflecting a fairly high original price apparently. The main reason for considering it is a) for fun as I'm a tenor player and it would be a nice change, but mainly b) for my son to graduate onto from his clarinet.

I may swing by and take a look and a picture, in which case I'll post it up for interest's sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been thinking about this. I don't have a lot to add to Milandro's post, except to say that there are some good saxes hiding under unknown brand names. But treat it as junk, unless you positively know better. May even be a yani lurking away there.

I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out to be a 1920s Conn, carved from a solid block of platinum, with unobtanium fittings. The case is certainly made from hand-stitched ant leather with no joins; a massive specimen was bread especially for the job on a one-off basis. The lining is, of course, nothing but the fine spun hair of South-Sea Island virgins.

Or some cheap Mek-e-han thing with a tone like Jewson flu-pipe.

We'll see...

I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out to be a 1920s Conn, carved from a solid block of platinum, with unobtanium fittings. The case is certainly made from hand-stitched ant leather with no joins; a massive specimen was bread especially for the job on a one-off basis. The lining is, of course, nothing but the fine spun hair of South-Sea Island virgins.

We'll see...

:))):))):))):))):))) Best of luck and don't forget to keep your fingers crossed!

Nahhh......not those south sea virgins again. Don`t believe that bit!

We'll see...