support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Best tenor ballad player

Punchysax

Locality
Hitchin
Morning,
For sheer beauty I love Ben Webster who is your favourite tenor ballad man and Alto probably Phil woods .

who are you favs alto and tenor?

It varies from time to time, but tenor would be Dexter in his 60s pomp or Getz and alto would be Hodges or Art Pepper.

Rhys

Old skool jazz tenors I have a soft spot for the very underrated Don Byas, for modern tenor players probably John Klemmer and Ernie Watts; for alto players as I am primary an alto player that is opening up a big can of worms - good call on Phil Woods check out his stuff with Quincy Jones, also Paul Desmond, Johnny Hodges, Dave Sanborn, Sonny Criss, Hank Crawford...

Greg S.

King Curtis, Lynn Hope, Tab Smith, Bobby Forte, Noble Watts ..... .

Tenor - Ernie Watts; Tommy Smith; Hank Mobley; Gene Ammons.

Alto - Cannonball; Bird; Charles McPherson

Last edited:
T : Lester, Coleman and Dexter
A : Bird, Desmond,. Pepper

Don't forget Rahsaan for tenor. When he played straight tenor there was no one with a more lush manly expressive sound.

Old skool jazz tenors I have a soft spot for the very underrated Don Byas
I'll pick James Carter as my favorite modern tenor player, who's a big admirer of Don Byas. Carter does a lot of crazy stuff, but he's a master of soulful ballads.

My old-school favorites are probably John Coltrane on tenor and Sonny Stitt on alto.

It's really hard to pick just one, though. (e.g. Scott Hamilton, Stanley Turrentine come to mind from those that haven't been listed yet)

Though I'm normally more a Ben Webster kind of guy- John Coltrane on tracks like After the Rain & Aisha is - well- stunningly beautiful