support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Berg Larsen in tune

richardr

Some may remember that over a year ago I had to abandon my Berg Larsen mouthpiece on my tenor because it played sharp. Over the past week I've discovered that it will play in tune on both my tenors if I use a Bari plastic reed. I like Bari reeds but I've never found one of a strength to suit me (I'm no good at filing!). However Bari Medium and my Berg Larsen go together well. Bari reeds are cheaper and, reportedly, last longer, than the Legeres that I'be been using so it's win-win for me, at least until my next reed/mouthpiece crisis!

interesting..I've got a berg larsen that I really like, but I tend to play sharp on - it's manageable, but I do have to concentrate to keep the pitch in line. What tip opening is your berg?

The inconsistency of reeds and the reed to mouthpiece relationship equation can drive a %75 man absolutely insane!
I have two Berg Larsen pieces that sit in a box. They seem to be nice.

If the mpc is playing in tune it is not because of the reed or material.

My guess is that the reed might be harder than your normal reed?

Im guessing you are biting. Applying too much pressure to the reed and sending it sharp.

Anyway...if it works great.

If the mpc is playing in tune it is not because of the reed or material.

My guess is that the reed might be harder than your normal reed?

Im guessing you are biting. Applying too much pressure to the reed and sending it sharp.

Anyway...if it works great.
We had a thread about this over a year ago when I discovered that my Berg Larsen was playing sharp (or, to be more precise, when my fellow musicians noticed and complained). It became clear that Bergs do tend to play sharp, so much so that people have had them extended by welding tube on the end so that they can pull them further off the cork. The thing that moved me to give my Berg another try was watching a video of Sonny Rollins playing one and seeing how far back on the cork he had it. I can "lip up" so my Berg plays in tune but I can't keep that up for very long before I forget. The Bari plastic reed that I tried last week was Medium Soft. That was too soft for me but it demonstrated that I could use it to play the Berg in tune. Yesterday a Bari Medium reed arrived. That also plays in tune and it's just right for me, but I keep the Yannagisawa mouthpiece that I've been using for over a year and a Legere reed handy in case I fall out with the Berg-and-Bari combination!.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom