Supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs Berg Larsen and Brilhart Ebolin

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
An old sax player friend of mine who I met for a beer gave me two tenor mouthpieces yesterday. The firs is a Brilhart Ebolin (not sure what size, will check later) and a Berg Larsen metal, duckbill 85/0 SMS

The Berg is in A1 condition and the Brilhart has teeth marks in the bite plate (could do with a new bite plate really).

Has anyone had any experience of the mpcs? They are at least 30 years old I was told!

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I have a Brilhart Ebolin 5. It's as dull as the weather is here at the mo.
My first tenor mouthpiece was a Berg steel 105/0. Classic rock'n'roll noise machine.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Depends what you want. The Brilhart will tend more towards a classical sound. I wouldn't agree with Nick saying it's dull, but it clearly wouldn't suit his playing style.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Ebolin can be great mellow pieces. Being plastic they often suffer from warped facings and cracked shanks.
Berg steel pieces are noisy.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I'll give them both a quick blow tomorrow if my bad wrist is up to it. It then presents me with a situation of having too many mpcs! I need to sort them out and sell a few. My tenor pieces include a Yani, PPT, Saxscape and now a Berg. Too many top end bits and I need to concentrate on one with another as a back up.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Swopping and changing doesn't help much whilst developing.... but it is fun :)

Jx
Absolutely agree. However, I have been having physio and my nurse says I can resume playing after Christmas. Excellent after fifteen months out! So I am going right back to basics and starting from scratch! My thoughts are to sell a number of mpcs that are too good for me and not allowing me to concentrate! I am justifying to myself that I should have a ,mpc per sax!

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I've had loads of Bergs, and generally have loved them, particularly the duckbill varieties. They tend towards either the mellower end of bright to very bright depending on the facing number. The 0 ones are the brightest. The one you've been (very kindly) given is a pretty narrow tip opening for a tenor piece, about the same as a Link 5*. I've found Berg metal pieces tend to work best in wider tip openings. The last duckbill I had was a 120/0 and it was great. I fact, I'd go as far as to say it's the only saxophone related item I've ever regretted selling.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Crikey that is a narrow tip opening. I am used to a 7. I should use a softer reed to start with I suppose?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
General rule: The smaller the tip, the harder the reed.

But it depends a lot on player and on differences between the mouthpieces. And as skill builds, you're more tolerant of which reed you're using.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
I have both so I shall try them and see how I get on, thanks Kev