support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginners Music Theory

If I am not mistaken that sounds like just "harmonizing" the melody. True counterpoint also provides some "harmony" to the ear, but is rhythmically different from the melody.
Sorry. From the responses following this comment it seems that I am not familiar with counterpoint after all. I must have been thinking about "counter melody" instead.

You do get the counter Melody in Counterpoint and that is basically what I am asking him to do is to play a counter Melody

Sorry. From the responses following this comment it seems that I am not familiar with counterpoint after all. I must have been thinking about "counter melody" instead.
You do get the counter Melody in Counterpoint and that is basically what I am asking him to do is to play a counter Melody
Me neither.
Counterpoint has been a specific discipline for some centuries.
I checked the "first species" counterpoint and it looks exactly like the rules that I had to follow between soprano and bass in a four part choral. Very close to the concept of countermelody (except the tenth rule: anything wider than an octave is looking for troubles).
The categorising in species sounds like the academic bit that I did not attend.
I had similar issues with seventh chords, that in Italian are classified in a perverse way that I refuse to follow.

(for Italian speakers, keen on different species Accordo di settima - Wikipedia )

I said don't worry about following all the rules. After the original poster figure out where all his intervals then flatten the 5th if you want. When you're learning theory you learn the basics first. Counterpoint is a real good way to learn those basics. When you get to Fourth species they will talk about the 7th

If you were looking at G5 or G6 theory with say ABRSM, then that covers things like harmonising a given tune for SATB, realising a figured bass. The rule-set used for this is generally baroque, so no parallel 5th or 8ves, avoid doubling third in major, perfect, imperfect, plagal and interrupted cadences (possibly Phrygian? As well). Anyway, you get the idea.

But my point is not for him to use this to learn to harmonize. To learn the Counterpoint to learn where his intervals are on his horn on the Fly. Each species deals with a single line not creating a chord. So if you read the melody but instead of playing the melody you create a counter point to the melody this is a great training especially when you get the fourth species and you start working on suspensions..... everyone is missing the point I just want the original poster to learn first species playing first species with this horn while reading a melody. Simple easy beginner stuff

Last edited: