support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginners Ligature?

Funnily enough my tutor did a lig shootout last week, be interesting if the people who do listen to it, do so blind and let us know if you can hear a difference.
(Btw only done in fun not a full on experiment)

I listened blind, and the more times I listened, the more confused I got.

I couldn't tell which were the fabric and which were the metal ligatures.
But I consistently didn't like the Rovner and BG ligs as much as the others.
My favourite was the Borgani Flexitone.
Sadly, he didn't try the ligatures that I use.

I listened blind, and the more times I listened, the more confused I got.
I’m with you Nigel, the differences are so minimal (although agree the BG didn’t like) my favourite was the Abelet Wood, but that could just be because he’s warmed up !
Also like the flexitone

Just to add it was only a bit of fun

I’d trust his expertise in placing a reed in the same place

Well...each reed needs to be in a slightly different place to get the best out of it, and as it tires this place changes too. Why would anyone put the reed in the same place every time? Is this the answer to the question why all the reeds in a box don't play?

Well...each reed
He only used one, the same reed !
Why would anyone put the reed in the same place every time?
As a fun (experiment) it would have to go in the same place to get a true reflection of sound, wouldn’t it.
As we know a reed could tire at anytime during playing, but as it was only being played for about 5/6mins I’d say unlikely.

Makes you wonder why anyone does comparisons with horns, mouthpieces etc !! :confused2:

I've tried quite a few ligatures over the last year or so, and different ligatures feel different when I am playing.
If I am happier with one rather than another, then I really don't care whether a listener can hear the difference in tone.

Ease-of-use also matters. For example, my Francois Louis ligature looks cool, but I can't be bothered to fuss with it.
That's the great thing about Rovner fabric ligatures - they are easy to put on, they don't scratch the mouthpiece, and they don't slip.

A friend of mine uses a Francois Louis. He has a vintage mouthpiece which has an unusual shape which the FL lig accommodates very well.

For a beginner, I think ease of use is most important.

I agree totally, although I'm not aware of any ligatures that are actually difficult - except maybe the old fashioned piece of string ligature.

I was a bit perplexed by the title of the thread because there isn't really such a thing as a beginners' ligature that you later need to upgrade to a professional ligature.

He’s spot on with his end sentence, i prefer the luggage tag :p;)

Iwas thinking of a BG or Rovner to begin upon my Yamaha 4C mouthpiece, any advice here please?
kind regards

Andre
The Rovner ligatures are great. For the Yamaha hard rubber or plastic mouth, the 1RL would be the correct size. Either the Dark or Lite. If you're looking for least expensive check out their Star series. I've been using Rovner since the late 70's and they have never let me down.

This thread is proof that marketing works.

It filters all the way to beginners to make them think they need to go spend more money.

Back
Top Bottom