support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Studies Bari Sax and Trombone Duets?

BariSaxDad

Son #1 plays Bari Sax in 7th grade Jazz band and Concert band, Son #2 plays trombone in 5th grade. I'm looking for duets that they could play. Beginner to intermediate. Preferably jazz or contemporary. I have heard about playing parts written for other instruments, but I am not sure what other parts each horn can play.

Musescore is free notation software that allows you to transpose any part you download. It's also free.
What you can do is go to their website, install the software, and search particular songs they want to play and filter it to two instruments. Even if the instruments are really high pitched like a flute, you can use the handy dandy transpose button to drop and octave or two (or three). You can also change the keys so they don't have to do something like c#.

You are in luck with that instrument combination. I suggest you find a book of easy trombone duets and have them both play from the same book. The player on bari sax just needs to read the bass clef as treble clef and

- add 3 sharps to the key signature if there are no flats or sharps
- add 2 sharps and remove the flat if there is one flat
- add 1 sharp and remove both flats if there are 2
- remove 3 flats if there are 3 or more

JW Pepper is a great resource for solos and ensembles of all types. For a student in 5th grade the E - easy, and ME - medium easy would be playable.

Last edited:
Almost any bass clef in C instrument duets will work (as long as the range is mostly drawn within the stave)
As explained above, Bari Sax can transpose on sight using the “add 3 sharps and assume clef is the treble clef” method.
Or use Musescore to actually transpose the part.