support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Bari key offset?

Alc.

For a while I have been losing tone with my old Buescher baritone with low D. I was able to play down to it, but couldn't begin with it. Today I tied the old specimen down and looked closely from the outside. When I fingered F things looked O.K. When I moved to F# the F key rose slightly, enough to notice visually. I unleashed the old bastard and did the scale, applying more pressure to F and I was able to get a nice visceral D! But I can't help thinking that the excess pressure is going to distort a key or bend a rod or something. Is it possible to build up a cork and force the key to make better closure? And where would I build up the cork?

The nomenclature used by repair techs is the key you press to play F is the "F key". The next key you add to play E is the "E key", and the last key that you add to play D is the "D" key. The somewhat smaller key directly above the F key is called the "F# key" since that is the key that closes when you press the E key alone to play F#. I hope that makes sense.

When regulated properly closing the F key or the E key alone (to play F#) should completely close the F# key at the same time. Some techs adjust the D key to also close the F# key, and some like myself leave it a bit light. On some vintage saxes the "back bar" of the F# stops after the E key and so the D closing the F# is not an issue.

Typically to regulate this area on the bari sax a tech will bend the back bar of the F# up slightly and seat the F#, F, E, and D keys independently of one another. Then the back bar is bent back down to where it was and the F, E, and D? key feet are bent up or down to independently close the F# key at the same time. Usually the low Eb or C key is removed and a leak light is inserted into the sax to make these adjustments.

If you can rig up some sort of leak light and are comfortable removing one of these lower keys, and can give me a clear description using the nomenclature above, I can talk you through a "quick and dirty" method to adjust the regulation on your own. It probably won't be perfect, but will be better than it was.

A good description by Jbtsax. A quick and easy leaklight you can use is a mag light or similar if you have one - on candle mode - unscrew the lens 'till it's fully off the torch the bulb should stay on. attach some string to the loop at the end of the torch and dangle it down your sax. seeing as its a bari if you have the mini mag light its so small it should fit under the low Eb key if you remove the 3 screws holding the key guard on. Ideally when using any type of leak light you really need to be in a darkened room.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

O.K., where to start. I read with great interest the suggestions of jbt and griff. But before I dismantled anything on my 80-year-old hooter I carried it outside (no small feat) and found the cork on the underside of the F# key stem had worn so was not making full contact with the little bar that connects with the F key. I glued a tad of cork to the F# key stem and let it sit overnight. I probably am not explaining the process properly, but all the lower keys blow full and true now. I shall keep the above advice for future reference; I appreciate it.

Old baritones. Don't you love them? My old weltklang got knocked off the stand. The bad news is everything had moved and it wouldn't play plus a few more minor dents. Man I could have cried. I could have punched him but resisted both urges. The good news is it's all very pliable and can be pulled back into shape. After a few weeks of fiddling I've just spent an interesting afternoon replacing old pads that wouldn't reseat and sticking bits of cork and carpet felt into the various places where its worn away or come adrift. She's somewhere near and 'm taking her to the new Orleans night tonight for a dep job. Fingers crossed.

Old baritones. Don't you love them? My old weltklang got knocked off the stand. The bad news is everything had moved and it wouldn't play plus a few more minor dents. Man I could have cried. I could have punched him but resisted both urges. The good news is it's all very pliable and can be pulled back into shape. After a few weeks of fiddling I've just spent an interesting afternoon replacing old pads that wouldn't reseat and sticking bits of cork and carpet felt into the various places where its worn away or come adrift. She's somewhere near and 'm taking her to the new Orleans night tonight for a dep job. Fingers crossed.

Good luck hope it plays ok :)

Jx

Back
Top Bottom