Tutorials

Baritone palm key E and F

Vetinari

I still have a problem getting palm key E and F and F#. If I run up from D then ok, although F# tends to be muffled and drops low after about 3 seconds. Any ideas.

OP
Vetinari

Vetinari

About 8yrs old Bauhaus, plays nice all the way down to low A. It just annoys me that I can't get the top 2 notes properly.

Greg Strange

If you have friends that play the baritone sax maybe ask him / her/ them to play your horn and see if they have the some problems that you have experienced or maybe try a different mouthpiece Meyer, Selmer (Paris) or have you owned the sax since new or is recent acquisition - could be any number of things...good luck...

Greg S.

Stephen Howard

Have you tried pushing a pipe cleaner through the octave pips?
It's a Yamaha copy, so there'll be three pips - but the one that serves the palm keys will be the one just below the crook socket.
Check too that the body pips are fully closed when fingering a top D. Slide a cigarette paper under each pad in turn and check that the pads maintain a grip on the paper when top D is in use.

Stephen Howard

@Stephen Howard , just tried all that and all appears ok. Even managed to get my leak light round the top and no light shows unless press the G key.
P.s neck key works as it should.
Hmmm...
There's not a lot else that can go wrong up at that end of the horn - at least nothing that would affect the palm key notes without affecting the lower ones (such as a leak).
All the same, it's worth checking. Pop a bit of clingfilm over the spit key pad, in case it's leaking - and wrap some around the top bow joint clamp. I'm assuming you checked the pads when you had the leaklight in.

The only other causes I can think of are that something's lodged in the bore...or it's down to mouthpiece/embouchure problems.
I suppose it might just be a problem with the crook...but you'd have to find another one to try in order to verify/discount it.
Any other players tried it and had the same problems?

OP
Vetinari

Vetinari

Just tried my bore camera and found this loose at the top bow to body joint. Poked it with a plastic knitting needle and it fell out. Palm E is much easier. Now got to sort out F.

20190815_163456.jpg

Stephen Howard

Aha! That's the remains of the seal for the joint. If you're lucky it's just the overspill. If not, it may mean that there's little or no sealant left in the joint. Wrapping clingfilm tightly around the clamp will seal it up - and if the F improves you know you've found the problem.

Top Bottom