PPT mouthpieces

Backing Tracks

Unfortunately without a computer and internet access your options are quite limited. One possibility you might explore is to download a Karaoke app on your iphone. There are several available. Along with that you can purchase a speaker that works with apple airplay that you can listen to the music tracks and play or sing along. I am just a novice with all of this iphone mumbo jumbo, but I suspect there are other members with more experience who can offer more detail.
Goodness. There are apps for everything these days. I’ve got a speaker that’s water proof for outdoor use and hooks up via blue tooth . All the music my husband downloaded I can listen to via my headset or this speaker. Unfortunately, his is a company computer and iPhone and they no longer let him do that.

This speaker doesn’t look like much but it’s actually very good quality and has exceptional sound. Don’t let the size of it fool you.
9E1B2D2D-1494-4E87-9B73-CD057A843A20.jpeg

I’m really concerned since I got reprimanded for using pictures that ‘might’ have be copyrighted.
If others are using stuff that’s definitely copyrighted, then I’m sincerely confused.

Music has a copyright, as do images (NB: you weren't reprimanded)

It can be fairly complex as there are often two very different copyrights.

1. Copyright in the composition
  2. Copyright in the recording

1. The composition will generally mean any significant melody and/ lyrics. In this regard a backing track is usually just a chords - and a set of chords does not have a copyright.

But as soon as you play the tune of the backing, then that tune could well be copyright unless it has become in the public domain due to the composer being dead for a certain number of years.

So we do not allow uploading of copyright material for which reason we don't have audio uploads here. However if you do a recording and upload it to Youtube then embed it here, that is OK, because Youtube are taking care of the licensing. (I think same applies to Soundcloud)

2. Copyright in recording. This can be tricky. It's fine for your own backing tracks if they don't infringe a composing copyright, but some backing tracks that are published (e.g. Aebersold) may well have a copyright in the actual recording. I can't remember now so best to read their actual terms.

NB: regarding the images (memes, cartoons etc.) sorry i meant to make a post clarifying our position on that - I got sidetracked by this horrible virus. I will endeavour to do that soon.

Meanwhile do look at the thread here:

In answer to your earlier question, I would always recommend an Apple computer when someone is into music or media. Garageband is great for when you want to get a bit beyond the capabilities of the apps like iRealpro (although I have to say that is great for backing tracks)

Music has a copyright, as do images (NB: you weren't reprimanded)

It can be fairly complex as there are often two very different copyrights.

1. Copyright in the composition
  2. Copyright in the recording

1. The composition will generally mean any significant melody and/ lyrics. In this regard a backing track is usually just a chords - and a set of chords does not have a copyright.

But as soon as you play the tune of the backing, then that tune could well be copyright unless it has become in the public domain due to the composer being dead for a certain number of years.

So we do not allow uploading of copyright material for which reason we don't have audio uploads here. However if you do a recording and upload it to Youtube then embed it here, that is OK, because Youtube are taking care of the licensing. (I think same applies to Soundcloud)

2. Copyright in recording. This can be tricky. It's fine for your own backing tracks if they don't infringe a composing copyright, but some backing tracks that are published (e.g. Aebersold) may well have a copyright in the actual recording. I can't remember now so best to read their actual terms.

NB: regarding the images (memes, cartoons etc.) sorry i meant to make a post clarifying our position on that - I got sidetracked by this horrible virus. I will endeavour to do that soon.

Meanwhile do look at the thread here:

Thank you. I was looking for some information about it. I wasn’t making a jab at the forum rules or moderation, I just don’t know enough about this which is why I asked a member here about uploading someone’ else’s songs and recording his own playing with it. That’s when I discovered that YouTube has its own document to fill out before uploading anything.

I’m going to get a computer and download some things Wade told me about until I get used to it. That way I can practice and whatever sounds good I might record but even that’s going to take me a bit of learning and I’m slow when it comes to techie stuff. It frustrates me to no end which is possibly why I never learned in the first place.

Ok I actually understood quite a bit of that.
Yayyy! :banana:

I think that's the beauty of karaoke version by paying i think you have the rights... Someone will put me right if I'm wrong I'm sure..

In answer to your earlier question, I would always recommend an Apple computer when someone is into music or media. Garageband is great for when you want to get a bit beyond the capabilities of the apps like iRealpro (although I have to say that is great for backing tracks)
That was my next question. From what I’ve learned so far Apple has quality products. They aren’t compatible with other stuff which is why people get frustrated. It reminds me of an Intec pool I bought. They had their own non standard measurements so all parts HAD to be purchased from them. Annoying but thats the way it is.
I’m looking at a MacBook from Costco. At least if I don’t like it I can take it back.

They aren’t compatible with other stuff which is why people get frustrated.

That works both ways, some other stuff isn't compatible with Apple. I think in many significant areas, it's often Apple that is compatible with other stuff rather than the other way round. e.g. Quicktime, iTunes, Pages (Mac word processor which exports to Word, but Word don't export to pages). But we are now getting off topic so if this tangent continues we'll split off to its own thread, otherwise...back to backing tracks

Unfortunately without a computer and internet access your options are quite limited. One possibility you might explore is to download a Karaoke app on your iphone. There are several available. Along with that you can purchase a speaker that works with apple airplay that you can listen to the music tracks and play or sing along. I am just a novice with all of this iphone mumbo jumbo, but I suspect there are other members with more experience who can offer more detail.

I've used a Karaoke site for backing tracks. I've the one below to be really good, with the ability to customise backing tracks by removing vocals or other instruments before buying the customised track. I've found the quality of the backing tracks to be really good, with lots of variety of tracks. Though it's a UK site, so not sure if purchases can be made across the pond.

I found that an apple I pad was so expensive and I like widows media player 're slowing down.. I bought a used detachable touch screen screen laptop on e bay for £160. It works great with mobilesheets so i can loom at the score and play the backing track on a screen bigger than an i pad..cheap and cheerful just like me...lol

We can access usa sites surely it works the other way round...

We can access usa sites surely it works the other way round...

Not sure if that was a response re my 'UK Site'. If so, of course, but I was noting about purchasing the tracks, rather than accessing. As I haven't tried to do so in a foreign currency, I cannot confirm, hence the comment.
If it wasn't a response to my post, as we were..

Hmm I suppose I just assumed it would be world wide halfers didn't think about purchasing...

I've used a Karaoke site for backing tracks. I've the one below to be really good, with the ability to customise backing tracks by removing vocals or other instruments before buying the customised track. I've found the quality of the backing tracks to be really good, with lots of variety of tracks. Though it's a UK site, so not sure if purchases can be made across the pond.

I only just found this information yesterday ; meaning a way to remove vocals from a song.
In any case all of this will be trial and error which is how most of us learn. Sooo fun!!

Thanks guys.

I found that an apple I pad was so expensive and I like widows media player 're slowing down.. I bought a used detachable touch screen screen laptop on e bay for £160. It works great with mobilesheets so i can loom at the score and play the backing track on a screen bigger than an i pad..cheap and cheerful just like me...lol
Really? Wow! So many different methods.
Thanks.

Hmm I suppose I just assumed it would be world wide halfers didn't think about purchasing...

Yes, that might be the case. I guess it depends if the cart is set up for Foreign Currency. Not sure if they are by default, but as it's only buying downloads, you're probably right.

That works both ways, some other stuff isn't compatible with Apple. I think in many significant areas, it's often Apple that is compatible with other stuff rather than the other way round. e.g. Quicktime, iTunes, Pages (Mac word processor which exports to Word, but Word don't export to pages). But we are now getting off topic so if this tangent continues we'll split off to its own thread, otherwise...back to backing tracks
Do you think an Apple Mac Mini would be sufficient enough?

Any not-too-old Macintosh should be able to do what you want (play backing track and make recording, then edit recording). If you are buying a used one, then I suggest that you make sure it can run the latest version of the operating system (OSX 10.15 Catalina).

Back
Top Bottom