support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Asking for advice from keen photographers.

Moz

Locality
North of Liskeard, Cornwall,UK
As well as playing sax and cycling a lot, I am also a keen amateur photographer -- all the gear, some idea -- but the thousands of photographs are starting to become a pain to catalogue as I do it all manually (different directories for different dates) and backing up is also becoming more complex.

I was wondering what software other prolific photographers use to catalogue their pictures? I don't mind paying for software so long as it does the job. My wife uses Picasa but I feel it takes too much control away from me.

Cheers

Martin

Hi, I use Adobe Lightroom,http://success.adobe.com/en/uk/sem/products/lightroom.html?kw=p&skwcid=TC|23077|adobe%20lightroom||S|b|21212135374
I find it really great as it imports straight from my camera and allows me to edit in the same program. It has slightly less editing capability than photoshop but what it does have more than covers what I need. It also allows you to edit one photo then apply the same changes to all the others in a selected group. Hope this helps!

Did this come bundled with something or did you buy it. At £103 it is not out of my budget if it does what I want. I am interested in this package but only for it's ability catalog my pictures as I am a bit of a photo purist and like to get the image right 'in the camera'. Recovering hidden information from the image is akin to 'dodging' and 'burning' film and is fair game since I am only turning my photograph into the image that the human eye would see in the same situation due to iris changes caused by dark and light.

I think I'll try the demo version and see.

Thanks for that.

AcDSee has a good database as well and is a lot cheaper.

With all of these photo cataloguers make sure you never move the pics with explorer. It's likely to lose the photos and recovery becomes very difficult.

Lightroom doesn't change the original, it creates a sidecar file containing your edits. This is good, because you don't have the quality drop of multiple edits, and you can always go back to the original if you don't like your edits. And the link between sidecar and original sits in the Lightroom database. It's this link that gets destroyed when you move things around manually.

I prefer to put the shots into named directories, and name each one, saving multiple version as I edit. And web versions I tag ywith web in the name. That way I can see exactly what I've done, even years later.

I use Photools Imatch - http://wp.photools.com/imatch-3-overview/

It's good for managing images - I've never used the in-built editing, preferring to use Photoshop for that. You can create your own tagging and classifications, and very quickly search and select from them.

There is a demo version available from the site.

Moz,
You say you have all the gear so may I borrow the 10 x 8 inch Sinar?

Moz,
You say you have all the gear so may I borrow the 10 x 8 inch Sinar?

Frankly, that lacks ambition. I'd have expected an old school (well, old, anyway) photographer like you to use 16"x20" and a multi-light source, horizontal enlarger for printing.

The Sinar, such a shame, I have just loaned it out.:w00t:

Not a bespoke cataloguing system, but I use Elements - I'm on v8 but v10 is now out. You can specifiy naming conventions etc. It creates group data sets when you edit and preserves the original.

I use Photools Imatch - http://wp.photools.com/imatch-3-overview/

It's good for managing images - I've never used the in-built editing, preferring to use Photoshop for that. You can create your own tagging and classifications, and very quickly search and select from them.

There is a demo version available from the site.

This looks to be the one for me. I shall download the demo version later.

Frankly, that lacks ambition. I'd have expected an old school (well, old, anyway) photographer like you to use 16"x20" and a multi-light source, horizontal enlarger for printing.

I use at least fourteen candles as magnesium powder makes the ceiling black. Suitable for the Hellfire Club but not for a philanthropy based organisation like the CaSLM.

I use at least fourteen candles as magnesium powder makes the ceiling black. Suitable for the Hellfire Club but not for a philanthropy based organisation like the CaSLM.

Fourteen candles? Or four candles? Or fork 'andles?

Back
Top Bottom