support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Asking for an advice on practice/recording

tisho

Hello,

Happy New Year to everyone!

I need some advice for a practicing issue. I need a super-minimal(pocket-sized) set-up for my practicing sessions as I want to play some mp3 pieces on my phone and to play the sax over. Kind of improvisation exercises. The idea is to connect the mp3 player and to mix it with the sax sound and to listen to the result.
In fact all I need is a mixer and a mic for the sax and headset to listen to the result. Also a guitar combo with a mic will do the job(although a bit louder solution).
However I am looking for a smaller in size(and cheaper) solution.
My first guess is to use Zoom H2n or Tascam DR-40(in fact I won't use these as recorders, but primarily as a mixer, and recording just as a side effect). I am wondering if these can do the job. Is it possible to use these recorders as mixers, with attaching my mp3 player(phone) to the LineIn, playing the sax and listening to the result on the headset attached to the LineOut. Obviously I need something to mix and match the levels from both inputs so I can listen to a normalised output for reference. Just for the record - I don't need a super-duper quality output, as I said output recording will be just a side effect.
P. S. I've tried listening to the mp3 track on the headset while playing the sax, but this didn't satisfy me. Also bringing a laptop is not desired. The solution should be pocket-size and with the minimal number of gear.

The idea is to practice with a backing track and to listen to the result. What I need is something to bring up the level of the backing track loud enough to be on par with the sax sound. A guitar combo or a loudspeaker would do the job, but I am wondering if something smaller can do the job as well. To mix the both tracks so I can hear them in the headphones.

@Colin the Bear might help with his busking experience....
To record i recommend a basic zoom recorder, leaving the mixing out of the equation once the backing track is loud enough.

As I said I don't care(yet) for the actual result in terms of recording. I might need that later. I just need to listen to the backing track and play over it. Something similar to what AKAI EWI does - to play and hear in the headphones. But obviously the sax is too loud so I need a louder sound source for the backing track. And all this needs to be very very compact. I am almost sure Zoom/Tascam will fit my needs, just wanted to hear from someone that they tried this and it worked.

If it is for practice purposes, I would learn to use headphones.
Personally I use basic open headphones, on just one ear (and a half). I don't put saxophone in them, since this can give other problems like latency or excessive volumes.
With headphones, probably a zoom H4 and a basic mixer would be a good tool. Not the H1, though. Not sure about the H2.
What is needed is having two tracks on playback and one on recording at the same time.

I hope this helps

Thanks a lot!!! That's what I expected to hear. Since I have not yet tried listening the sax through a mixer, I was unsure if the latency could be an issue. I will try the half-ear headphones. In fact I once tried it, but was not satisfied with the result. Maybe I really need to learn how to use them.

Thanks a lot!!! That's what I expected to hear. Since I have not yet tried listening the sax through a mixer, I was unsure if the latency could be an issue. I will try the half-ear headphones. In fact I once tried it, but was not satisfied with the result. Maybe I really need to learn how to use them.
Just a matter of getting used to it.
With closed headphones you have to fight the inner sound of the sax. Very uncomfortable for me.

For recording I use ordinary Ipod-type earbuds. I can turn the backing track up loud enough to hear it alongside my live playing, without feeling cut off by headphones. Very simple and I'm sure you could do it with your backing track and a phone.

Personally I play the backing track through a speaker, then record both backing track and my sax playing into either my Zoom H2 or into GarageBand on my iPad with a Snowball ICE microphone.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom