support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Art Pepper!

Ohhhh that looks tempting. I love Art Pepper's interpretation of swing...it's almost straight at times, almost the opposite to Ella Fitzgerald for example, and yet manages to create such a strong groove.

I don't know whether that description makes sense to anybody else but I know what I'm trying to describe.

Groan (1).gif
groan.gif

Thanks for starting this thread Nick, Art Pepper is one of my favourite players and listening to some of these tracks reminds me why. :)

Art Pepper started on a Conn6m, played on The Martin alto throughout the 50s and until the late sixties, recording some of his best work,then he got a Buffet SDA and ended on a MK7. I know he used a Meyer hard rubber on the Martin but don’t know on the others. But whatever alto he played he sounded like Art Pepper, sax genius. I wonder what he could have done if he hadn’t had his problems.

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I've always been aware of Art Pepper, but never really listened to him much. I bought Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section from iTunes. Wow! I will be doing a lot of listening. Thanks!

I think he used a Runyon custom 7 at some point in the 70's...
I think in 'Straight Life' he mentions that the Buffet sales rep in America came to one of his early comeback gigs in the 70's, saw the state of the horn he was playing and offered him a sponsorship deal and sent him a Buffet alto and a clarinet
Art could've done so much more if he'd not spent all those years in jail and messed up on drugs - there aren't too many recordings to show us what he was playing like in a lot of the 1960's and the early 70's were spent in drug rehab, so that's about 8 years that could've been more usefully spent, never mind all the lost opportunities due to being erratic and unreliable and only caring about scoring more gear - all that time wasted getting wasted
The 1964 Jazz Casual footage shows him playing in a more Coltrane-ish style... I've not tracked down a copy of Art Pepper Quintet Live At Donte's 1968, but it'd be interesting to find out what he was up to in that period...

I've just watched Notes From A Jazz Survivor again -
View: https://youtu.be/KEyQiDIo2UU

Last edited: