support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Aristocrat - 10m - Aristocrt

Greywolf

Locality
Morecambe prom
A few years ago I bought an Buescher Aristocrat on eBay. From the serial number I'm fairly sure that it was made between 1939 - 40. ( I have a little fantasy that it was brought over by a GI).

Anyway I hadn't played it for a while partly because it didn't seem to play that well and I decided to take a day out and go and see Stuart at Bradford and maybe trade it in for a Conn, (I've always had a bit of a yen for a Conn) or see if he could sort out the aristocrat. Also the Yani needed a good fettling.

When I got to WWE Stuart obligingly shoved me in a room with a selection of 3 Conns ( he'd already told me there was nothing wrong with the Atistocrat).

Anyway I whiled away about 45 minutes noodling aroiund on the Conns, comparing them with the Aristocrat and started to fall back in love with it. I got Stuart to let me have a play on a repadded 10m and although it was very tempting, I did actually prefer the Buescher. I left the horns with Stuart to go for lunch and have a think about it, (but in all honesty I'd already decided to keep the Buescher). He said he would see if he could sort out the Yani while I was away.

When I got back he had sorted a leak on the Buescher but needed to keep the Yani for a few days as there was more needed doing to it than he had thought, (I'm going to pick it up tomorrow).

I have been playing the Buescher non-stop for the last 3 days and it is playing beautifully. I spent a small part of the money I saved on NOT buying the 10m on a Sky-watcher 200 Astronomical telescope, which means I can now play Polkadots and Moonbeams with my eye glued to the eyepiece.

There is a moral to this story.

If you're thinking of getting a new saxophone, don't. Buy a telescope instead.

Oh and you really can't do better for saxophones and service than Woodwind Exchange. So There.

I spent a small part of the money I saved on NOT buying the 10m on a Sky-watcher 200 Astronomical telescope, which means I can now play Polkadots and Moonbeams with my eye glued to the eyepiece.

Did you buy it from Telescope House by any chance? They're just up the road from me and they have a new retail shop in the next village, opening in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to have a nosy round there when it opens.

Picking up what you said Jon. Are they opening in East Grinstead or somewhere like? I bought a Tasco basic 4in reflector some years ago and made it rather better with some Meade eye pieces bought from Telescope House in Farringdon Road. Often thought about upgrading to an 8in Meade but never got round to forking our for it. I need a T ring to adapt for our current digital SLRs so having a shop fairly close might make me do it (yes I know it's only a few ££!). Don't use the 'scope a lot but a week or so back on a cold but very clear night we had great views of the Orion nebula and Pleiades (also difficult to get away from the effect of street and house lights here).

Enjoy it Greywolf - it's great fun (so long as your not scrapping over who's turn it is to look while the others get cold!) and quite moving when you see the size of the universe.
YC

Hi Col, they're opening a small shop in Lingfield of all places. Not going to get too much passing trade there, but I guess it serves as a cheap showroom for people who want to see kit before parting with the money. They closed down their shop in Farringdon Road a while ago, and have had a large industrial unit on one of the local farms for ages, but it's not much use as a shop. I popped in today - they're not really open yet, but they were in there and I had a chat with them. They had some massive reflectors in there, a couple of bits of vintage kit and a couple of huge Dobsonians, as well as the more typical amateur reflectos. Loads and loads of stuff on their website, costing from buttons to thousands.

Anyway I whiled away about 45 minutes noodling aroiund on the Conns, comparing them with the Aristocrat and started to fall back in love with it. I got Stuart to let me have a play on a repadded 10m and although it was very tempting, I did actually prefer the Buescher.

Oh and you really can't do better for saxophones and service than Woodwind Exchange. So There.

Excellent news Greywolf......
Glad to see you posting again too.

Thanks Jon. I'll keep an eye on their website, although Edenbridge is hardly far from us either! There's a limited amout you can do with a camera without a motorised 'scope mount, but the moon comes up well with a short exposure. The other night the moon was actually too bright to look at (and we don't have any filters).
Cheers
YC

Last edited by a moderator:
Er hang on a minute need to check something..........wanders off confused.

Oh yes, this is the right forum. thought I'd stumbled into 'Sax Players in Space' by mistake.

In addition to thinking I might trade in the Buescher I've been thinking about 'moving on' with regard to my mouthpiece. After trying lots I finally settled on a Lawton 6* which I have played for years. (I tried 3 different Tone Masters and in the end just admitted that I cannot get on with them.) Recently I've been thinking that I should get a piece with a wider tip opening, so when I went back to Bradford today to pick up the Yani I asked Linda for a selection of wider tip Lawtons and some Le Bayles.

Why Le Bayle? Well because a pro playing friend of mine bought one months back, let me try his and I loved it.

You can see where this is going can't you.

I finally settled on either a Lawton 105 or a Le Bayle 8*.
Well. With the trade-in on my old lawton I got the Lawton 105 for £30 and paid the price for the Le Bayle.
I find the Le Bayle very free blowing and bright but being narrower than the Lawton or the Tone Edge that I play on the Buescher my emouchure didn't really cope that well.

8 practice rooms at WWE and all taken and folk queueing up to blow. Just the best shop in the north if not the whole country..or even the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm

I've just been looking at the Lebayle and while I know the tip is 8* I have no way of knowing whether it is a jazz, studio or LR. Not that this matters because I bought it for the sound, but does anyone know how you can tell. The only markings are:

'Lebayle' - along thside

'8*' - on the barrel

and a serial number 32664 on the barrel

Hmm

I've just been looking at the Lebayle and while I know the tip is 8* I have no way of knowing whether it is a jazz, studio or LR. Not that this matters because I bought it for the sound, but does anyone know how you can tell. The only markings are:

'Lebayle' - along thside

'8*' - on the barrel

and a serial number 32664 on the barrel

What is the baffle like?
The studio is a bit brighter with more baffle.
I had a Jazz (very nice piece) and it had a bullet shape like some bergs but I cant remember the shape of the studio.
Never seen an LR in the flesh
1 out of 3 aint bad :w00t:

Well I don't think there's much baffle at all really. There's a sort of V shaped groove in the baffle.