support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Are Chateau Saxophones any good?

I think Chateau Saxes are made by the Tenon company and mainly sold in the USA. Tenon is a well-respected Taiwanese manufacturer with factories in Taiwan and mainland China.

Last edited:
This link gives some more information Bench Notes #10

Just saw this thread, and have a few clarifying comments. I have a Chateau Custom alto, which is made by Tenon in Taiwan. They recently changed their model numbers, but it used to be that models beginning with a "T," such as my TYA-900E3 were made in Taiwan, and those beginning with "V" were made in the Vietnam factory described in the link jbtsax provided. They have recently gone to a Yamaha-like system (CSS, CAS, CTS, CBS) with trailing numbers that indicate different product lines but not nation of origin. The top lines are still made in Taiwan, but I have not heard anything bad about the Vietnam-built models. Chuck Kessler told an SOTW member that the Kessler Custom saxes are currently made by Tenon. My alto is as well-built as any I have owned, including a YAS-62. It has good intonation and tone, and plays easily throughout the range, It is a great sax, and a better bargain.

Greetings. Lately, I've been looking into various sax's and I found a company named chateau. From what I can tell, their saxophones are solid and at a good price (about $1950 for their top-of-the-line professional model). Also, they look absolutely gorgeous, and their lacquer and engraving looks to rival that of Yanagisawa. They use ribbed construction, waterproof pads, blued steel springs,
Untitled2-e1445371876442.png
Untitled2-e1445371876442.png
and double-armed keys. I would love for someone who's had experience playing or dealing with one to offer their opinion.

They are made by the Tenon company with factories in both Vietnam and Taiwan. I have inspected one up close at a NAPBIRT Convention, but have not played one. I know they have a good reputation and come highly recommended by Curt Altarac of Music Medic who offers several models for sale on his website.

Haven't seen one on the bench as yet - but played a few at Frankfurt some years ago. I was impressed with the playability - but found that, for me, the cheaper models were livelier and more fun.

They are made by the Tenon company with factories in both Vietnam and Taiwan. I have inspected one up close at a NAPBIRT Convention, but have not played one. I know they have a good reputation and come highly recommended by Curt Altarac of Music Medic who offers several models for sale on his website.
If my memory serves me correctly, P. Mauriat horns are also made in the Tenon factory

Just saw this thread.

I own two Chateau saxes, a Custom alto made in the Tenon factory in Taiwan, and a sop made in the Crown Hope factory in Vietnam, which I have read is also owned by Tenon. Both are very well built and good players.

Sax players in the US are generally aware of Kessler and Sons in Las Vegas, who have a great reputation. (They are said to be the largest Yanagisawa dealer in the US.) Their "Handmade" soprano is exactly the same as my Chateau, down to the engraving.

As far as P. Mauriat saxes being built at the Tenon factory in Taiwan, I have heard that before, but don't really know. If this is true, it is contrary to the impression that the P. Mauriat web site gives that they manufacture their saxes themselves.

I found this as well. Student (cheaper) one was great. More expensive not so good.

You don't get what you pay for :)

That may be twelve year old news!
I found this as well. Student (cheaper) one was great. More expensive not so good.

You don't get what you pay for :)

That may be twelve year old news!
Is that 12 years ago from now or 12 years ago when I posted the reply 6 monthsish ago

My understanding has been that P. Mauriat saxophones are made by Albest Musical Instrument Co. in Taiwan. Do they have any relationship to the Tenon company that makes Chateau saxophones?
I couldn't be sure who it is, I've probably erased it from my mind as it turned into a bit of a nightmare, I got my Horns in the end but I wouldn't ever go near whoever it was again.

Tenon makes saxes for a lot of customers. Chateau is the brand that they market themselves (you find it on the Tenon Industrial website). Pete's experience with student vs. more expensive models is interesting, although when I bought my alto about two years ago the Chateau catalog had at least three levels of instruments. The line that included mine was not one of these, but had its own promotional material, making four separate lines. My point is that it is difficult to know exactly which models are involved in these comparisons. Neither of my Chateau saxes is a student model, but neither is what I would call "not so good." In fact, I would call them very good. As always, play before you buy.

Pete's experience with student vs. more expensive models is interesting, although when I bought my alto about two years ago the Chateau catalog had at least three levels of instruments.
I didn't know that. I'm just basing this on when I was at Namm, there were two models that tenon were offering for branding. I was I was testing on behalf of a potential customer. I preferred the cheaper one.

Later I came across a someone who was considering importing and had some samples. Without know which was which, I chose the cheap student one as my favourite.

This is not really surprising, I bought a bauhaus original (Chinese) soprano back in 2005 ish. A couple of yrears later they introduced the Taiwain soprano so I traded the Chinese one in for the "better" one. But soon realised the better one was not as good as the old cheap Chinese one.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom