support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Studies anyone with 100+ solos for saxophone

SopranoSimon

Account Closed
Locality
Darlington
i have this book and im struggling with the rythem of songs, any help,

If you're going to teach yourself, get a book of songs you know. Or a book of songs with backing tracks. The guest spot series have two backing tracks for each song. One with the melody to play along with and one without when you get there. I had a lot of fun with the motown and 20 jazz greats.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=guest+spot+tenor+saxophone

i find it very hard to play with distraction e.g music in background or another player, i dont like jazz, i prefer slower songs

As Colin says play the songs you know, to start with the ones drilled into your brain since you were young, even if it's only Jingle Bells or even worse something by the Beatles.
Forget about backing tracks until you know that you are making vaguely the right noise.

iReal b if you have an iPad or iPhone

Costs about £4 and there are literaly thousands of free backing tracks which you can play in any key.

i have this book and im struggling with the rythem of songs, any help,
Simon,How long have you been playing?
Has your teacher told you about note values yet?
if so follow an easy tune slowly using the timing values of each note.

It is difficult to help you when we can't hear whats going on,this is why it is important at the beginning to have a teacher.

As Colin says play the songs you know, to start with the ones drilled into your brain since you were young, even if it's only Jingle Bells or even worse something by the Beatles.
Forget about backing tracks until you know that you are making vaguely the right noise.
i can play songs i know with ease, its just new songs i havnt heard of its hard to get the right melody

Such as?
Try to find them being played, maybe on youtube, listen a few times until you can 'sing' along.
Other than that follow my method and keep trying until you realise you might not recognize the title but you are playing a tune you have heard before.
(Not because you just played it).

Last edited:
Such as?
Try to find them being played, maybe on youtube, listen a few times until you can 'sing' along.
Other than that follow my method and keep trying until you realise you might not recognize the title but you are playing a tune you have heard before.
(Not because you just played it).
people on youtube really change the song up from my book, they add loads of extra pretty notes in so i cant follow the song on youtube with my book

Simon,

These are similar to what Colin suggested and are meant for beginners. Even if you don't like to play along with the CD because it's distracting you can at least listen to the CD to get the melody down. It eliminates having to search youtube where the videos might not match the melody you are trying to learn.

for Alto
http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=44004359&lid=7&keywords=first recital series&subsiteid=1&

for Tenor
http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=44004359&lid=7&keywords=first recital series&subsiteid=1&

Jafo50

oo its from america it seems... i live in the uk , id be waiting ages for the book

Just search for the "First Recital Series" online and purchase it locally.