All profit supporting  special needs music education

Studies anyone with 100+ solos for saxophone

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
If you're going to teach yourself, get a book of songs you know. Or a book of songs with backing tracks. The guest spot series have two backing tracks for each song. One with the melody to play along with and one without when you get there. I had a lot of fun with the motown and 20 jazz greats.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=guest+spot+tenor+saxophone

SopranoSimon

Locality
Darlington
i find it very hard to play with distraction e.g music in background or another player, i dont like jazz, i prefer slower songs

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
As Colin says play the songs you know, to start with the ones drilled into your brain since you were young, even if it's only Jingle Bells or even worse something by the Beatles.
Forget about backing tracks until you know that you are making vaguely the right noise.

QWales

Locality
S. Wales, UK
iReal b if you have an iPad or iPhone

Costs about £4 and there are literaly thousands of free backing tracks which you can play in any key.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
i have this book and im struggling with the rythem of songs, any help,
Simon,How long have you been playing?
Has your teacher told you about note values yet?
if so follow an easy tune slowly using the timing values of each note.

It is difficult to help you when we can't hear whats going on,this is why it is important at the beginning to have a teacher.

SopranoSimon

Locality
Darlington
As Colin says play the songs you know, to start with the ones drilled into your brain since you were young, even if it's only Jingle Bells or even worse something by the Beatles.
Forget about backing tracks until you know that you are making vaguely the right noise.
i can play songs i know with ease, its just new songs i havnt heard of its hard to get the right melody

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
Such as?
Try to find them being played, maybe on youtube, listen a few times until you can 'sing' along.
Other than that follow my method and keep trying until you realise you might not recognize the title but you are playing a tune you have heard before.
(Not because you just played it).

Last edited:

SopranoSimon

Locality
Darlington
Such as?
Try to find them being played, maybe on youtube, listen a few times until you can 'sing' along.
Other than that follow my method and keep trying until you realise you might not recognize the title but you are playing a tune you have heard before.
(Not because you just played it).
people on youtube really change the song up from my book, they add loads of extra pretty notes in so i cant follow the song on youtube with my book

jafo50

Locality
New York
Simon,

These are similar to what Colin suggested and are meant for beginners. Even if you don't like to play along with the CD because it's distracting you can at least listen to the CD to get the melody down. It eliminates having to search youtube where the videos might not match the melody you are trying to learn.

for Alto
http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=44004359&lid=7&keywords=first recital series&subsiteid=1&

for Tenor
http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=44004359&lid=7&keywords=first recital series&subsiteid=1&

Jafo50

jafo50

Locality
New York
Just search for the "First Recital Series" online and purchase it locally.

Top Bottom