support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Any recommendations for reeds with PPT?

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
I was a bit surprised not to find a thread on this already, but I'm not too au fait with using search engines, so please redirect me if I missed something.

I just bought a PPT 8* tenor mouthpiece through the yardsale (Thaks, Ads). Only played on it a couple of times yesterday so, not surpisingly, the results haven't been very consistent so far. I think my embouchure needs to adjust to the new shape apart from anything else. This is only the 3rd tenor mouthpiece I've spent any time with in the 4 years I've been learning tenor.

I'm going to have to buy some tenor reeds soon anyway, so I was wondering if any of you PPT owners (or designers?) out there could recommend a good place to start on the reed search.

I've been playing Rico Royal 3's on a Rico Royal (aka Graftonite) B7 mouthpiece. The softer ones of those and a 2.5 I had lying around seem to give me about the right amount of resistance, or do I need to get used to less resistance by going down a strength? As I said, the resuslts have been unpredictable eg low notes sometimes speaking really easily, sometimes not at all, and more squeaks than usual on the top notes. I can easily believe it's just me at this stage, but if I'm barking up the wrong tree reed-wise it would be good to find out before I spend too much time. Do I need to worry about stuff like French cut vs American cut, for example, or are the PPTs forgiving on that sort of thing.

Thanks for any help you folks can give me

Martin

I play a Pillinger NYT, I believe Mr Pillinger had a hand in the PPT production and I am happy to say that it doesn't seem to matter what I put on it it plays pretty good. So far I have used a Legere Sig, Rico Royal, Vandoren, Alexander Classique and NY, all have their different characteristics but I have to say I'd be quite happy to use any of them. I'm now trying to master the art of swing and Rico Plasticover is doing the job at the moment.

Martin I was using Rico Jazz select 2S and 2M filed if that helps, regular 3s are like a floorboard on an 8* tip .

Like yourself, I was using the same piece for decades and only had a (pretty awful) Bari 105 HR for occasional rock use . then the Yani HR 5* And then the PPT so it was quite a difference to me too (hence all the asking about lays etc when I got it in Feb) , Daveysaxboy recommended RJS 2 and I also found they worked .. thankfully you`ve got a metal lig which fits (I had the piece a while before James mac sent me that) , I found Rovners to be squeak city

I've been very happy with RJS 2H. I recently tried Marca Jazz 2.5, was even better.

The squeaks seem to come from poor embouchure. Consciously pulling your lips in from the side cures it.

Hi Martin
I'm using Alexander Superials DC 2.5 and RJS 2M. I think I prefer the Superials but the RJS are pretty good.
I'm just about to order some Marca Jazz 2.5 on Tommapfumo's and now Kevgermany's recommendation.
I've tried the Marcas on alto and they're very good.
I'll have a dig around and if I've got a spare Superial I'll stick it in the post. PM me your address.

Yes, I noticed that. Looks like it's back to the long notes for a while.
If I lay off tenor for a while and play sop with a PPT, the squeaks are back on tenor. Doesn't happen on Bari or sop. Or on others.

I use Legere Signature 2.5 which i think is what Pete uses but i have also had good results with Rigotti Gold 3.

Plasticover 2 and Forestone M for me on PPT 8*

They play very bright for me... not an ideal sound by itself but good in amongst electrical guitar noises

When I bought my Pillinger I found that I had no lig that fitted comfortably, bearing in mind the suggestion of the original owner (fabric ligature which have not been good for me in the past) I tried a Vandoren Leather from Dawkes (excellent customer service), that was 6 months ago, easy to adjust, easy reed changes and the 3 different pads make a little difference, only subtle in my case but it's nice to have the options. I forgot to add mine is a .110.

The PPT is a nightmare for metal ligs because of its weird shape, it`s too tapered to take regular HR types which fit Links, Selmers etc .

I found that cloth/leather ones like the split rovner style (I used a Rovner Light to begin with) tend to take the edge off the sound and increase any squeak problems you may be having ..

I gave Martin a very old Vandoren metal lig which was given to me by JamesMac , it`s made of a very bendy brass and the bands are thin so it moulds to the shape of the PPT rather well and isn`t too small so adjusts well enough .....

Others have said that those weird ones made of wire and brass pipes (both fake and real) with the single screw clamp work well on the PPT , I`ve not tried one ...

I`d give it some time and reed experimental Martin, it`s a very rewarding piece . if you finally don`t get on with it, I`d buzz Jules , he expressed an interest when I was selling it ...

Tenor PPT 9* - RJS 3M, La Voz medium or whatever else is kicking around
Baritone PPT 8* - RJS 3M
Soprano PPT 7 - RJS 2H, Vandoren 2.5, Alexander Superial Classique 2.5 or similar.

Rovners all round.

Just thought it was time for a progress report, not least so you don't all think I've ignored your help and advice.

It seems llike softer reeds are the way to go for me. I've had the best results so far with a Rco royal 2 sent to me buy Andrew (thanks again), which is the softest reed I have. Was using 3s on the Rico piece. It's taking some time to learn to produce a steady note with so little pressure but it sems to be coming. I'm just not used to being able to produce a decent sound with so little effort. I'm beginning to think me and the PPT are going to get on very well.

I think I'll order some Marca Jazz 2's and see how it goes. Found the one Superial 2.5 I've tried a bit stuffy.

I'll post a recording when I'm confident enough to play some actual music again.

I didn't like the Rico Royals with the PPT. Wasn't playability, more the sound. The RJS, then the Marcas in progression give a lot of extra sound wise.