Tutorials

Alto sax mouthpiece on Lyons C clarinet?

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Does what you call an instrument influence the sound more than the mouthpiece then Nick?
Quite possibly but possibly not in the way you might be thinking. If you tell someone you're putting a sax mouthpiece on a clarinet body they might well hear some sax in there, whether there actually is any or not.
What makes the most difference is the body - cylindrical or conical (Kev's post #4).
I tried this many years ago and now I know why it made bugger all difference.

Colin the Bear

There's very little difference between a clarinet mouthpiece and a sop mouthpiece apart from the way they fit. I read some where that some early sop players cut down clarinet mouthpieces to fit. The biggest difference in sound will be fitting a trumpet mouthpiece or maybe adding some drones and a leather sack. Perhaps some money could have been saved by carving a carrot.

https://youtu.be/BISrGwN-yH4

NB Saxophone mouthpiece. Carrot clarinet

jbtsax

Subscriber
I'm curious as to how you fit a saxophone mouthpiece into a clarinet barrel. Did you wrap cork around the shank?

The main difference between the clarinet and saxophone is that the clarinet plays near the top of pitch (you can't lip up any higher without closing off the reed), and the saxophone plays near the center of the pitch (you can lip both up and down). In the chalumeau (lowest) register, the clarinet does not sound too bad when played with a saxophone embouchure. In the upper register it plays very flat and sounds like a goose. Some types of "ethic" music incorporate this "uncharacteristic" clarinet sound, but one would need to either get a very short barrel, or finger the notes up a half step to tune with other instruments.

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Little chickety boom, one stick, you dig?
Account Closed
I'm curious as to how you fit a saxophone mouthpiece into a clarinet barrel. Did you wrap cork around the shank?
It's a plastic clarinet with a non-standard connection (o-rings). I just bunged the sop mouthpiece into the barrel and wrapped some electrician's tape round it. I'm not trying to make a "professional" instrument here, it's just for my own amusement.

The main difference between the clarinet and saxophone is that the clarinet plays near the top of pitch (you can't lip up any higher without closing off the reed), and the saxophone plays near the center of the pitch (you can lip both up and down). In the chalumeau (lowest) register, the clarinet does not sound too bad when played with a saxophone embouchure. In the upper register it plays very flat and sounds like a goose. Some types of "ethic" music incorporate this "uncharacteristic" clarinet sound, but one would need to either get a very short barrel, or finger the notes up a half step to tune with other instruments.
I'm finding it is ok to play several of the easy jazz standards I know, I don't need (or like) the very high notes, and it seems to play nicely in tune in the range I do use. It can be played quietly so that I don't have to play inside my car inside my garage, which I had to do when I had those old-fashioned metal saxophones.

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
I've been dissatisfied with my musical direction so I replaced the standard clarinet bell with a combined bicycle bell and compass. This is thought to be the only photograph of me in existence during this period of intense creative ferment.
Assault Clarinet w bell and compass.jpg

AK 46.75 Assault Clarinet w bell and compass.jpg

jbtsax

Subscriber
I've always had a suspicion that the British enjoy being a bit eccentric. I now have irrefutable proof including photographic evidence. :)

Based upon what a metal clarinet with a saxophone mouthpiece and no bell would sound like, this type of hat may be more appropriate. :D

Last edited:
OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
Wrong hat for clarinet. You'll never get it in tune wearing that hat.
Well, firstly. And secondly, did I say it was a hat? Thirdly, it's not a clarinet, it's an AK 46.75 Assault Saxinet. Fourthly, it's actually nicely in bloody tune, and fifthly it sounds pretty good, for what it is. Perhaps less like Paul Desmond than I'd originally planned, more like a tenor sax.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Well, firstly. And secondly, did I say it was a hat? Thirdly, it's not a clarinet, it's an AK 46.75 Assault Saxinet. Fourthly, it's actually nicely in bloody tune, and fifthly it sounds pretty good, for what it is. Perhaps less like Paul Desmond than I'd originally planned, more like a tenor sax.
Please do a recording for us......would like to hear the sound of your clarisaax

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
Saxinet. I'm already working on the recording, hope to be putting down some hot wax for you this weekend, if that's the expression I'm looking for.

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
It's not a "product" it's a gateway into an entirely unique musical universe. And I believe I can claim with some assurance that it sounds better than the "saxinet".

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
But anyway, thanks very much for agreeing to get involved in the project.

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
Sorry Prof, don't understand your emoticon: is that you hitting me with a baseball bat, me hitting myself, you hitting yourself??

OP
Bernie

Bernie

Account Closed
And shouldn't it be a cricket bat?

Top Bottom