support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Alto for wife

Mamos

Locality
Falmouth Cornwall
Hi all

I want to get an alto for my wife for her birthday and we have decided that a three month rental would be a good idea.

Sax.co.uk do good deals (I got my sakkusu tenor from them and it is great) so I thought I would get her a sakkusu alto but I noticed that for an extra tenner I could get a Trevor James alto.

Do I go for the sakkusu and what I know or do I go for the TJ

mamos

Personal taste really, I guess you'd have to say TJJ is a better known name, but that doesn't mean the sax will be any better.

I was looking at a Sakusu (Sp) the other day in Sax.co.uk and on looks alone it was impressive. I have never played one though. I doubt Sax.co.uk would stock a dodgy brand somehow.

you could try packers in taunton - Their JP141 alto is a nice sax and reasonably priced.

And there's a rather nice Hanson alto going FS at WW&BW ;)

Definitely a better buy than a TJ or Sakkusu....as I expect/hope/guess Pete would confirm!

Last edited by a moderator:
And there's a rather nice Hanson alto going FS at WW&BW ;)

Definitely a better buy than a TJ or Sakkusu....as I expect/hope/guess Pete would confirm!

I must say I am 100% happy with my Sakkusu Tenor. It is a world apart from my first student sax, a conn from years ago.

The only thing that worries me a little is the resale value of a make that nobody has heard of but they don't cost that much in the first place so if I get a couple of years enjoyment out of them before I feel the need to upgrade then they have more than paid for them selves.

The Trevor James comes with a nice BG lig as well

mamos

Hiya

I bought a TJ Rev II Alto (Silver on Silver)

I was dissatisfied with my TJ at first, and immediately started to look for more expensive higher end alto's because of the less than impressive sound :))))). Over the last few months I've stuck with it, replaced the Otto Link HR, with an Otto STM, and worked on my tone.

Now my teacher compliments the tone of the TJ often (at least once every couple of lessons), and to my ear, the tone is bright and clean and rings like a bell, in both registers. The more I play it, the happier I am with it.

That's not to say that a Yani or something wouldn't sound better, it may, but right now I'm really happy with it and more so each day.

My criticisms are probably valid with any budget sax, pads and cork padding on the guides come out and fall off, nothing to cause concern and sax.co.uk told me to pop it in next time I'm passing and they'll put it right.

TJ Horns (like most Far East budget horns) get quite a bad rep, but I'm a perfectly happy TJJ owner.

Take the wife to Sussex for a visit to the wonderful store and play each for her, see which feels best to you (and her) and which sounds best. It's always the best way!

Just my tuppence

T.

Trevor James Alto Horn Revolution II

I must say I am 100% happy with my Sakkusu Tenor. It is a world apart from my first student sax, a conn from years ago.

The only thing that worries me a little is the resale value of a make that nobody has heard of but they don't cost that much in the first place so if I get a couple of years enjoyment out of them before I feel the need to upgrade then they have more than paid for them selves.

The Trevor James comes with a nice BG lig as well

mamos

Trevor James Horn Revolution II you get a 5 Year Guarantee.:D

cheers Tony

Alto for wife ? Seems like a fair swap to me :)))

I have a TJ Revolution II alto and am quite pleased with it now that I have a good quality mouthpiece. However, if I was in the market for a new alto I would take a close look at the Bahaus Walstein; less than £400 and if it as good as the tenor then it would be a good buy.

I had a TJJ Rev II alto before my YAS-62 and got on with it very well. I can't comment on the Sakkusu at all, but if you are going to rent for three months you could definitely do worse than go to sax.co.uk

Alto for wife ? Seems like a fair swap to me :)))

:)))

You do get a lot of kit with a rental from sax.co.uk

Sax stand, music stand, yammy mouthpiece, reeds, DVD, Book etc

Probably near £60 worth of extras

mamos

Alto for wife? Depends on what she looks like. I have a silver Mark VI if she's really fit.:)))

now take my wife, please take my wife. I never get any respect. My life, I've been through plenty. When I was three years old, my parents got a dog. And I was jealous of the dog - so they got rid of me! I don't get no respect. One night I fell asleep with a cigarette in my hand - my wife lit it! I made love to an inflatable girl - now I got an inflatable guy lookin' for me! Oh, when I was a kid, I was poor. Christmas, I got no presents. Well, there was one Christmas, on our front lawn - Prancer and Dancer - they dropped off a little something. Oh, when I was a kid, I was poor. I was so poor, in my neighborhood - the rainbow was in black and white! I tell you, it's tough to save a buck. Right now I'm supporting two fighters - my wife and her mother! I was crossing the street, I got hit by a bookmobile. I was laying there in pain moaning, the guy went shhhhhhhhhhhh.... In my neighborhood, they got a children's zoo. Last week, four kids escaped. Oh, when I was a kid, I was ugly. When I was born, the doctor smacked my mother! I was an ugly kid. My old man took me to the circus; we went to see the freaks. The owner looked at me, he said, "Get the kid out. He's distracting from the show!" What a childhood I had - I was ten years old when I found out Alpo was dog food! and that's just the beginning!! :)))

Oh yeah... Tell us more Jack.....

Or should it be "hit the road Jack"

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

1935 Conn naked lady alto & Blessings soprano

it would seem to me that you havent been married very long
dont you know, as a bloke no matter which one you buy it will be the wrong one.
unless its a surprise!!!!!!!! take her to the store, let her play them both and she decides
that way you come out smelling like roses
also I assume if its a rental deal you could allways swap it over later.

Back
Top Bottom