PPT mouthpieces

altissimo F#

allansto

Locality
Frankston Victoria Australia
hi everyone
I would like any help at all with my altissimo F#
So I`m playing men at work . who can it be now , main sax riff.
I need to play D# A# B F# B A#. I can do it .
That's not the problem .
So the fingering is to jump from the B then hold down top F ,B ,A keys (left hand ) and F# key (right hand)
The issue is if I don't hit the left hand keys a split second before the right hand , all I get is crap.
If I hit it right I get my F#. Is this normal ????
Regards
Allansto.

It sounds normal to me. The "regular" front F fingering establishes the frequency of the F and then the F# key (or side Bb) raises that 1/2 step. What threw me off was the mention of holding the B key down. This is done automatically when you press the front F.

Thereis very little "normal" in altissimo fingeringwise or reaction wise. Some mpces are morepredictable on altissimo. Are you referring to all altissimo notes or just using a horn thatdoesnt have an F# key. Alto or tenor?

I can't follow your fingering for F#. F, B A and F#? Is that what you normally use for F#? Or all palm keys, side F and F#? On a modern sax the latter should voice so cleanly I wouldn't all it altissimo, it's within the normal range of the sax. Or am I missing something here?

I can't follow your fingering for F#. F, B A and F#? Is that what you normally use for F#? Or all palm keys, side F and F#? On a modern sax the latter should voice so cleanly I wouldn't all it altissimo, it's within the normal range of the sax. Or am I missing something here?

the reason Im using this fingering is the key change .
I need to go from b to f# really quickly , try doing that using the side keys and you`ll see what
I mean.

I can't follow your fingering for F#. F, B A and F#? Is that what you normally use for F#?

It took me a second to realise what he meant. It's the standard alt. fingering for F#.

@allansto - it just takes a little practise and healthy reeds. To be honest, I very rarely use the palm keys for F# any more as I find this fingering to be much quicker, if I little harder to play consistently.

Initially, I did have to start on F and then go up to F# (as I think most people do) but with practise you'll be able to jump straight to it.

Ahhh....now the penny drops .....My F# on my SML alto and tenor is front F side Bb and R1

To go quickly between B and F# I just roll my wrist clockwise till my finger on B overlaps the front F key....BUT I play flat finger. I suppose one might be able to do something similar and rock the finger down so the change is smooth otherwise there is going to be some sort of tonal weirdness in between LOL

Hi and thanks to everyone who replied to my post.
So as it turned out none of the issues I was having were the problem .
I had read somewhere that the f key only needs to be cracked open just a little bit to get that f#.
And this is true of my sax.
I put a wad of paper in between the f key and the b hole coverplate this reduced the amount that the F key can open but also limits the opening amount of the b key thus affecting the c# note but dramatically affecting the f# note .
Now when I depress the f key and Im going for the F# ..... I can Hit it every time .......Yehhhhhhhh.
with no embouchure adjustment( obviously not the problem)
ok you say !........ what about the C# ?
So then I adjusted the amount of paper in between until I got the C# in tune but can Still get the F#.
All I need to do now is replace the paper with some cork as a permanent fix.
Awesome
regards Allansto

A good F# could also be F with OK, middle finger left hand open. Connects nicely with G you could finger with right hand ring finger instead of index finger.

Cheers

I put a wad of paper in between the f key and the b hole coverplate this reduced the amount that the F key can open but also limits the opening amount of the b key thus affecting the c# note but dramatically affecting the f# note. All I need to do now is replace the paper with some cork as a permanent fix. Awesome

regards Allansto
Before you make this fix more permanent, there is a better way. Follow the front F key to where it touches underneath the palm F key. You may be able to remove enough cork/felt or other material at this location to make the F key open a shorter distance without affecting the B or C#. If removing material is not enough, a bit of judicious bending can take it the rest of the way. Some newer Yamaha's have an adjustable post on the front F key that allows you to change the contact point under the F palm key thereby controlling the opening distance.

The only downside to making this change by removing material/bending is that it adds a bit of "lost motion" to the front F key before it begins to lift the F. Removing "lost motion" can keep some techs up at night, but the average player doesn't even notice it---or care if they do. :D

Before you make this fix more permanent, there is a better way. Follow the front F key to where it touches underneath the palm F key. You may be able to remove enough cork/felt or other material at this location to make the F key open a shorter distance without affecting the B or C#. If removing material is not enough, a bit of judicious bending can take it the rest of the way. Some newer Yamaha's have an adjustable post on the front F key that allows you to change the contact point under the F palm key thereby controlling the opening distance.

The only downside to making this change by removing material/bending is that it adds a bit of "lost motion" to the front F key before it begins to lift the F. Removing "lost motion" can keep some techs up at night, but the average player doesn't even notice it---or care if they do. :D
Thanks I`ll check that out right away

A good F# could also be F with OK, middle finger left hand open. Connects nicely with G you could finger with right hand ring finger instead of index finger.

Cheers
ok I`ll try it

Thanks I`ll check that out right away
Yes I just looked at that .......I think a better option would be to add some more cork to the f key underneath the palm key where the key bottoms out on the body . thus preventing it from opening so far.

Yes I just looked at that .......I think a better option would be to add some more cork to the f key underneath the palm key where the key bottoms out on the body . thus preventing it from opening so far.
Be careful. That could result in the front F key not completely closing the B key causing additional problems.

sorry im using the wrong parts
I think the bottom palm key is the one that needs the extra cork.under the heel (so to speak ) of the key,
when I depress the f key this lifts the palm f key which give the f then I add the right first finger and side key this gives me the f #
when the palm F raises too high all I get is air . when its at the right height I get the f #.