All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19
SYOS

Altissimo F# to top F#

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
IMG_1441.JPG
how would you suggest I finger from F#3 to F#2?
Is there an alternative (harmonic?) way of fingering for Altissimo F# (or even for top F#)? Currently the middle finger of my right hand is needed for both notes but on different side keys, and I am struggling with co-ordination (not to mention getting off 3 left hand palm keys back onto L1-3!)

It's on Baritone, if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Well, that's useful.... Although I have use the "front" F, I have never known that you can get an F# from there too with the addition of the Bb key. So I have always used all 3 Left hand palm keys, the top right hand side key, plus the F# key positioned between the normal right hand keys and the right hand side keys.

I've just packed away (it's after 9pm here) so I'll have a go at this tomorrow.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
He's right, it's a great way to play F# and makes it a note you can go to relatively easily. I find it requires a little more practise than using the palm keys to get initially, but once you've got it you're away. :thumb:

You may even find you never bother using the palm keys for this note ever again.

GJ77

The front F plus side Bb doesn't speak well on my alto (no f# key available), so I got into the habit of using xox l xoo instead. I now use that on all of my horns, even when I've got an F# key.

jazzdoh

I very rarely use the palm keys for F or F# always use front F and the F# key (providing your horn has the high F# fitted)or side Bb which ever is easier for you.

Jazzaferri

Palm F works best in some situations front F works best in others. Good to be fluent in both if you play up top a lot.

Zugzwang

Subscriber
I've got a few bars further in Boogie Stop Shuffle, as per the 'How Would You Finger This Run?" thread thanks, but it finishes on top F# so I'm now trying alternative fingering for that too....
May I wake this useful thread up with a high F# question?
Nomenclature first: Larry Teal's fingering chart pre-dates what I call ¿Wrongly? the "high F# key" .
(Never had one in my previous incarnation)
The single key in that area on his diagram, he calls "side F#" So which key(s) are people talking about on this thread?

Jazzaferri

Front F for my SML tenor requires the addition of the G# LH pinky key for decent intonation.

F# is front F with the side Bb key and F stack key depressed. To get altG, I just lift my finger off the stack F key.

Last edited:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
If I just came across that when sight reading I'd use the usual palm keys and top F#.
However, if I sat down and thought about it a bit, I'd try something else.
Then I'd go back to using the palm keys.

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Modern saxes have 2 keys just outside the F E D keys, but inside the side keys, operated by either the 2nd or 3rd fingers of the right hand.
The side F# key is the lower key and operated with the 3rd (ring) finger. This is used with the normal F fingering XXX XOO either with or without the octave key.
The altissimo F# key is the upper key and operated by the 2nd finger along with all the LH palm keys , the octave key and the top RH side key.

spike

Old Indian
@Jazzaferri -
Just a thought - if F and F# are flat using the fork F fingering, check that the F key is opening sufficiently.
Happened to me a year or so ago and until I checked the front F against the side F and spotted that the fork F mechanism had gone out whack due to worn corks which meant I was compensating by adding pinky G#.
Not only that Alt G wasn't speaking properly at all.
I use Fork F + RH 1 2 for F#
and Fork F + side Bb for G

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom