support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

African Sax

PatrickDA

Locality
Dorset
Getatchew Mekurya is another interesting one- Ethiopian tenor player, very modal and serpentine. Something of an acquired taste but fascinating if you're in the right mood

Couple off my playlist - Robbie Jansen, McCoy Mrubata, Basil "Manenberg" Coetzee.

I always try to find African music that hasn't been too heavily influenced from continents across the water.

From North Africa, I posted a couple of rather nice sax performances here

Couple off my playlist - Robbie Jansen, McCoy Mrubata, Basil "Manenberg" Coetzee.

I always try to find African music that hasn't been too heavily influenced from continents across the water.
Yes, quite agree. It's getting harder and harder. You have to go back folk music - but not too many saxophones there!

You have to go back . . .

Yes, lot's 've harp type string things, marimba type wooden keys and drums of all shapes and sizes but not an awful lot've saxofonic flutey tubes. And as time goes by the old ethnic traditions and cultures are getting lost and buried under the mass of 21st century junk . . . . . :doh::old::rolleyes:

Yes, lot's 've harp type string things, marimba type wooden keys and drums of all shapes and sizes but not an awful lot've saxofonic flutey tubes. And as time goes by the old ethnic traditions and cultures are getting lost and buried under the mass of 21st century junk . . . . . :doh::old::rolleyes:
For "flutey tubes" there are pictures of Nay like flutes in Egyptian hieroglyphs!

As for authenticity, you can go back as far as you can in "the records" and find musicians picking up stuff from other cultures as they travel with armies, trade, itinerant etc.

Although it's obviously true that with recordings, the internet etc. some stuff washes over the world like a tsunami; seems to me there are always - and have always been - folks listening, playing and innovating... I'm not sure much is lost - but change happens - as many of the musicians mentioned here show.