support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Advice needed re: sticking bite plate on to Guardala Cresent mouthpiece

Rick Reed

Locality
Coventry United Kingdom
I have got a bit of a problem. The plastic bite plate keeps falling off my Guardala Cresent mouthpiece. Does anyone know if I need to use a special glue to stick it back on??
At the moment, I use a mouthpiece patch which holds it in place, mbut I really need a perminant solution. Has this happend to anyone else??
Rick

I have got a bit of a problem. The plastic bite plate keeps falling off my Guardala Cresent mouthpiece. Does anyone know if I need to use a special glue to stick it back on??

Apart from trying to contact Dave Guardala and asking for your money back :) I would have thought epoxy should do this, but check first whether it's toxic. Maybe dental epoxy as it must have been tested for toxicity.

Pete's right about dental epoxy, if you can get it. It can usually be found in kits intended for making temporary repairs to dentures. Alternatively you can use a food safe form of superglue which has been approved for use in food containers. I actually used this to make a repair to my own dentures (!) and it has been fine. Pretty much any glue which is 'food safe' will be OK, particularly as your mouth won't actually be in contact with it if you do the job neatly.

Apart from trying to contact Dave Guardala and asking for your money back :) I would have thought epoxy should do this, but check first whether it's toxic. Maybe dental epoxy as it must have been tested for toxicity.

Thanks Pete. Unfortunately, its not a new one so I wouldn't get my money back (thats assuming they could locate him lol). I was concerned about toxicity, so I think I will go down the dental epoxy route.

Pete's right about dental epoxy, if you can get it. It can usually be found in kits intended for making temporary repairs to dentures. Alternatively you can use a food safe form of superglue which has been approved for use in food containers. I actually used this to make a repair to my own dentures (!) and it has been fine. Pretty much any glue which is 'food safe' will be OK, particularly as your mouth won't actually be in contact with it if you do the job neatly.
Thanks for the advice Jon. I'll look out for both.

The same thing happened to my New Crescent, I believe it's pretty common (at least on the laser trimmed ones). I haven't done anything with it as I use a patch.
BTW, what kind of patch do you use? I use the BG ones, but they're a bit wide, so I have to trim them. I have stopped using the New Crescent in favour of a Guardala King, which is a bit more lively!

The same thing happened to my New Crescent, I believe it's pretty common (at least on the laser trimmed ones). I haven't done anything with it as I use a patch.
BTW, what kind of patch do you use? I use the BG ones, but they're a bit wide, so I have to trim them. I have stopped using the New Crescent in favour of a Guardala King, which is a bit more lively!

I use the BG ones as well (the black rubber kind) but I also put a clear one over the top. It lasts much longer this way. Not tried the Guardala King, is it brighter than the Cresent?

It's (a lot!) brighter when you need it to be, but can also play mellow(ish) as well, the basic sound is similar to my New Crescent, but when pushed, it has a lot of edge and volume and can (on a good night!) have a sort of King Curtis tone.

I was happy with my New Crescent for a long time, but recently changed horns to a 1959 King Super 20 tenor, and on the new sax, the New Crescent seemed to lack a bit of 'zing' (especially at the top end) which the Guardala King has - and then some!!
I managed to get the Guardala King on special at WWBW across the pond, I had to wait 4 months to get it, but only paid $169 plus shipping, so I was happy to wait.
BTW what reeds do you use - I use V16s (on the advice of the local music shop); they have a percussive quality that seems to go well with the Guardalas for some reason

It's (a lot!) brighter when you need it to be, but can also play mellow(ish) as well, the basic sound is similar to my New Crescent, but when pushed, it has a lot of edge and volume and can (on a good night!) have a sort of King Curtis tone.

I was happy with my New Crescent for a long time, but recently changed horns to a 1959 King Super 20 tenor, and on the new sax, the New Crescent seemed to lack a bit of 'zing' (especially at the top end) which the Guardala King has - and then some!!
I managed to get the Guardala King on special at WWBW across the pond, I had to wait 4 months to get it, but only paid $169 plus shipping, so I was happy to wait.
BTW what reeds do you use - I use V16s (on the advice of the local music shop); they have a percussive quality that seems to go well with the Guardalas for some reason

I know what you mean about the zing. For a long time I was using the Rico Jazz Select 2M but I found them to be a bit tame and lacking that extra something I wanted with the Cresent. I now use the Vandoran Java red's 2.5 and they work a treat. BTW I was using a Rovner lig on it, but I have just bought a Selmer 3 banded lig and it has really made a big difference to the sound. Really opened it up with a nice vintage tone without being too harsh. If you ever get fed up of the King let me know lol!!

These days I use a Francois Louis Ultimate lig - the ones that came with both Guardalas were pretty rubbish. I think that the Francois Louis frees the sound up more somehow, even though ligatures make no difference;)
I think that the King is here to stay - it performed really well at our band's first gig last night!

Back
Top Bottom