support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Absolute bliss.

We are indeed lucky.

Tonight, Britain's greatest polymath, Jeremy Clarkson returned to BBC2

You are Jeremy Clarkson AICMFP.

and tomorrow, Britain's greatest intellectual festival commences at 1830 BST on BBC Radio 4.

Ah now, there I have to agree. It's not quite the same without Humph (a trumpeter, but nobody's perfect), but it's still the best thing in British broadcasting.

Dave,
Must point out that Mr. Littleton also played clarinet, a single reed, conical woodwind and therefore related to the saxophone. Furthermore, young Adolphe has also been accused of being responsible for the Flügelhorn, a combination of trumpet, cornet and bugle technologies in the lead tube, valve layout and tube flare. This must be true, as Britain's greatest polymath told me.

Apologies for being serious.

...clarinet, a single reed, conical woodwind and therefore related to the saxophone.

Actually it's parallel bore, with very slight mods to help tuning. But it plays/overblows as a parallel bore.

But as far as I know Sax's clarinet experience (he was the main sorter-out of the bass clarinet) was a major influence on his sax design.

Typical moderator forgetting about the metal clarinets as well as the original clarionets and the associated myth that it overblows like a parallel bore. Böhm flutes rise an octave.

Targa,
How good are you with "I've got a ferret sticking up my nose"? Now that has brought us back to, what is that animal playing the saxophone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a great polymath someone who knows about every branch of mathematics?
Must admit I have been getting fed up with the inanity of the last few series of Top Gear. Last night did nothing to dispel that, sadly.

Now "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" is entirely different. I'm constantly amazed at the mental gymnastics that are displayed during a round of Mornington Crescent.
YC

Typical moderator forgetting about the metal clarinets as well as the original clarionets and the associated myth that it overblows like a parallel bore. Böhm flutes rise an octave.

Sorry Bill, but...
Böhm flutes, whistles etc. overblow by an octave, with a parallel bore, because they're open at both ends, saxes, clarinets work/overblow as if they're closed at the mouthpiece ends. The conical bore of the sax makes it overblow at the octave, unlike the clarinet's parallel bore. I haven't seen or seen photos of a metal clarinet with a conical bore, but if it was made that way it'd overblow at the octave and lose a lot opf it's range, quite apart from confusing the players. Parallel vs conical bore is the main reason a sax sounds different from the clarinet - clarinets only have the odd numbered harmonics (1,3,5 etc) while saxes have all the harmonics ( 1,2,3,4,5 etc.). It's the lack of the second harmonic at 2x the fundamental/first harmonic that prevents the clarinet from overblowing on the octave.

Never mind that, let's get back to serious things. Further to my post, I've just read a preview of tonight's "Sorry, I Haven't..." Mornington Crescent is being played under Children's Rules for the benefit of guest Marcus Brigstocke. That's a disappointment, but it does allow some of us mere mortals a chance to keep up.
YC

Doesn't everyone take themselves seriously when Young Jerry and TG crops up. Appreciate that they are playing non PC, non green characters because they get paid extremely well for doing so. Apart from well paid, the same is true of Kev the Mod. That is why I enjoy trying to smuggle the odd non-truth past his eagle eye.:)

Children's Rules. What difference does that make to "huffing on the diagonals"? Have consulted the Esperanto and Latin for Roman Catholic players, editions of Grossmith and Lubber, but no mention of Children's Rules. Possibly because they are an addition to my 1856 first edition?

Targa,
How good are you with "I've got a ferret sticking up my nose"? Now that has brought us back to, what is that animal playing the saxophone?[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure of your syntax here. Is that:
How good are you with.......
Senior moment.....
"I've got a ferret sticking up my nose"

Targa,
Were you a fan of the Florio?

As you introduced the Angus Prune Tune, I assumed that you listened to the contents of the programme and for a period, ferrets were of great interest. That gave rise to the song, "I've Got a Ferret Sticking up my Nose". With the extra capitalisation, does it become familiar? Another clue, most of the cast sang it.

Okay, I give up.

Yes I did recognise it, those damned ferrets I can't stand the singing, I just thought I'd try one more for the Old Jokes Home.
As to a fan of the Florio anything to do with motor racing any category, any period. If it hasn't got wheels and an engine it's not a sport.

Received from a non member:-

Sir,

Although last night's wireless broadcast of "I'm sorry, I haven't a clue" was moderately amusing, it contained a grave error, especially regrettable as today's schedule includes the two thousand and eleven commencement of the Reith Lectures.

Introducing the "Mornington Crescent" round, Mr. Jack Dee mentioned "Children's Rules" and "Lifts and Escalators" and gave an accurate description of the depth and equipment of each player's nomination. At one point, Hainault was nominated and Dee allowed it. Hainault, on the Fairlop Loop, is a surface station and is not equipped with lifts or escalators.

In order to maintain the programme's and indeed the game's gravitas, it must be overseen by an Umpire elected from the Mornington Crescent International List of Approved Adjudicators.

Disgusted
Col, Ret.

Quite so. Actually I thought that the Fairlop Loop and indeed anywhere beyond Leyton was not permitted under Children's Rules, but perhaps that's a different version.
Would you inform the writer that in future he is not to use my name nor propagate the myth that I am retired.

The Florio, now that takes you back...
YC

Received from a non member:-

Sir,

Although last night's wireless broadcast of "I'm sorry, I haven't a clue" was moderately amusing, it contained a grave error, especially regrettable as today's schedule includes the two thousand and eleven commencement of the Reith Lectures.

Introducing the "Mornington Crescent" round, Mr. Jack Dee mentioned "Children's Rules" and "Lifts and Escalators" and gave an accurate description of the depth and equipment of each player's nomination. At one point, Hainault was nominated and Dee allowed it. Hainault, on the Fairlop Loop, is a surface station and is not equipped with lifts or escalators.

In order to maintain the programme's and indeed the game's gravitas, it must be overseen by an Umpire elected from the Mornington Crescent International List of Approved Adjudicators.

Disgusted
Col, Ret.

Dear Dol, Net.

On this programme we do not accept hoax letters and therefore have not read the above.

Literally if not metaphorically,
I remain yours,
Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Back
Top Bottom