• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance Abalone key pearls

Here they are...

View attachment 18950

Don't like the fact the shell is smaller than the black acrylic base it's set into. At £4.89, I was going to use them on the Ammoon sop, bringing the total spend to £69.89 for it, a Bari Esprit MP and DJS reed. Using these, I think I may devalue this wonderful instrument?

Send them back???
Could have been worse the acrylic base could have been white!
 
While I was surfing Aliexpress (think twice!) for neck corks, which were very good, I also spotted more abalone key buttons at £5.47 shipped. Look OK don't they...

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 16.00.58.webp


Ad here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...der_detail.order_detail_item.3.f759f19cEcyvI8

Well, after three weeks they arrived, as under. Off-centre; air bubbles in resin; wide black border. No good.
Requested refund yesterday and refund received today...

20230218_102230.webp

20230218_102108.webp

20230218_102137.webp


What did I expect!

:doh:
 
If I could ask a side question:

Where's your "go to" for bog standard touches?

My tenor (Vito/yts), having had quite rough previous life, has 4 pearl looking touches, three (inc bis) plain white touches and a button... Literally a shirt button. Since the repad has really upped it's self-confidence, maybe it deserves some fresh, uniform, touches? They don't need to be embedded with gold flecks or such...
 
Last edited:
I'm glad I jumped on an offer an ebay seller made me about 5 years ago, when I was busy with several projects.

IMG_20230219_211820956~2.webp


That's my current stock of a be abalone and black pearls. I am te ne d to prefer black pearls.

I still have a few projects either unfinished or not yet started... So I'll most likely use most of these. I got 8 sets for 50£. I knew the seller from a previous purchase.

Here it is. FWIW.
 
I just found the eBay seller I bought some black pearls from in 2018: Saxophone real mother of pearl key buttons inlays | eBay

The first set were mis-matched, top four to bottom five...

20181025_122015.webp


...so they sent a replacement set. Originals on left, rounded edge replacements on the right...

20181117_130453.webp


I haven't used either set so far but plan to put them into the YAS-21 I has wet soda blasted. It has nickel keys so should be a good combination.
 
The past two attempted pearl shipments from overseas, since the tariffs have passed has resulted in both orders being held up in customs, and being permanently held without release.
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at sax parts from China like saxophone pads for a particular model. But I certainly don't want to go through the situation you are going through, especially for something as mundane or benign as key pearls.

Lately my purchases on E-Bay were filtered by location as "USA only". Thus I avoided this issue altogether.
 
For those of us on the old Continent, I recently bought mop buttons from a French supplier, to replace the slippery poly#### stuff used on the Yamaha 475.
I briefly considered buying abalone ones from … wherever, but eventually preferred the classic look.
Here’s the source:

IMG_7890_jpg.webp
IMG_7891_jpg.webp
 
The past two attempted pearl shipments from overseas, since the tariffs have passed has resulted in both orders being held up in customs, and being permanently held without release. So... I might have to pay 4 times as much for "pearls" from Music Medic.
1) get a refund. You never received the goods.
2) measure the sizes needed. Give Cannonball parts a call. They’re in your region, Salt Lake City. There’s also a chance a generic set off Amazombie could work. $12-$15/set.
 
1) get a refund. You never received the goods.
2) measure the sizes needed. Give Cannonball parts a call. They’re in your region, Salt Lake City. There’s also a chance a generic set off Amazombie could work. $12-$15/set.
I did get a refund for both of my orders, thankfully.
I will try Cannonball. Thank you for the suggestion. 🙂
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,192
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom