support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A treat for altoists

Young Col

BBC radio 3 Jazz Library was a treat for all sax players this afternoon, but especially for altoists. The focus was on Benny Carter. The playlist spanned his recordings from swing to post-bop (although he continued recording into the 1980s). The number of stellar musicians of all kinds that accompanied him is too long to list; just a taster is the reeds line up alone from a Jazz at the Philharmonic recording: Benny Carter, Johnny Hodges, Charlie Parker, Flip Phillips and Ben Webster. His playing is delightful throughout, but the 40's and 50's tracks stand out for me along with his Further Definitions album from 1961. If you missed it, catch it on BBC i-player during the next week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vcqzx
YC

Thanks YC, missed that, will go and listen. I saw him at The Barbican in (I guess) the early 90's - may have been late 80's, can't remember the date but the concert was excellent

Phil

I can access iPlayer by taking a subscription to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for a fiver a month ...the one I use is MPN; setting-up was fiddly, but cust support was excellent, and they did it for me by 'remote control'.
My PC is a bit slow to run programmes 'live', but I can download them for later viewing and that is satisfactory.

Thanks YC
I'll go get that on Iplayer and listen on the plane going home. I'm told that iplayer will not work outside of the UK (downloading) which is a shame as I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Cheerse & Ciao
Jimu

It seems to vary, some of the stuff the lock down, some they don't. Have a great trip home from me as well. Pity you didn't make it this far south - next time maybe.

It seems to vary, some of the stuff the lock down, some they don't. Have a great trip home from me as well. Pity you didn't make it this far south - next time maybe.

Hmmmm,

Thanks for the bon voyage messages YC & Kevgermany.
Yup 6 months literally on and off the Road, was quite a trip, learned heaps too though sax practise suffered.
Returning home with a Bundy/ Selmer clarinet which looks good for only £25 at a scottish country boot sale market.
Have decided to come back next year to do what I didn't this time.

Hope my copy of Iplayer works in NZ.
Cheers
Jimu.

....Hope my copy of Iplayer works in NZ.....

The radio iPlayer worked with no problem when I lived in Australia last year. The television iPlayer is not available.

Also worth listening to "Jazz Junctions" on BBC Radio 2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v4plq

"Guy Barker continues to explore the history of jazz, focusing on the turning points and pivotal events that have shaped the genre, and discovering some great stories and larger-than-life characters along the way."

Chris

Back
Top Bottom