Saxophones A scruffy 84 year old alto -v- modern horns

Hassles

copy a mid 20s Buescher True-Tone and have it 3d Printed from plastic. Have it replicated from carbon-fibre, PVC, stainless steel, titanium, MDF etc etc, attach original key cups and mechanics and no two experiences will be the same. Modern horns have modern mechanics (playability) and usually a cheaper material due to ever escalating material costs and this influences the sound / tonal characteristics of the instrument not to mention their ease of playability. Oh sure savvy sax makers know the differences and they do their best but older horns don't compare on the ergonomics stakes. Personally I prefer older horns but...when I pick up my MKX it simply functions flawlessly, is not so Mouthpiece dependent and is a bloody joy to play. I adore my True Tone, the old Dolnets, G.H.Huller, SML super 44 and 51 Amati Toneking if only for their tonal palate but.....the contemporary Keilwerth plays like air-guitar in a alcohol induced euphoria. If I want that same euphoria without the alcohol - I reach for the vintage saxes.

eb424

As a newbie i have the same struggle bought a buescher true tone because sentiment got the better of me. I sooo wnted to play a sax from tge 1920s.. In my head I know it sounds better than my hannsons series v but i still reach for that sax.. The sound on the tt is so much deeper and its a pleasure to play... but being advised wrongly i feel by so many people about the ergonomics, difficulty with the g# key etc i decided to advertise it. If only i could afford sentiment lol.....

Hassles

It's not about the amount of notes you play - it's about the tone of the notes you play. The 'ol TT's are veritable treasures in my opinion. It was the first sax I bought and will probably be the last I one I own - eg: I'll rid myself of the others first. If you have one - just keep it - and watch / listen to as much Johnny Hodges as you can.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wINfnnUlrwY

Devon

Had a Selmer circa 1927. Still kicking myself for selling it. Picked up 3 Yanagisawa "Artist" horns in 1977 and love 'em. Mostly because they seem to be faithful replications of Selmer Mk VI. Playing 1-or-more of them daily and glad I don't have to shell out the $$$ to replace them.

Top Bottom