Supporting   special needs music

A rather silly problem with reading!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I tend towards Stefan's view. A long time ago I was trying to teach myself the tin whistle, from a few teach yourself books. If a piece had fingerings shown, I found it nearly impossible to read the dots and not the tabs... But each to his own!

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Locality
Løten, Norway
I had the same difficulties as Fraser. Had to really focus on the dots to see what the he.. they were. Then the missus got bored with my constant muttering and sent me to have my eyes checked. Yupp, they were still there, but they did not focus at close ranges. I knew they didn't because I'm wearing progressive glasses. But that didn't cut it any more. I had to get myself reading glasses and hey presto, the dots were in focus and recognized straight away.

Sunray

Locality
Norfolk, UK
Sometimes it's better to be out of focus ...

I had the same difficulties as Fraser. Had to really focus on the dots to see what the he.. they were. Then the missus got bored with my constant muttering and sent me to have my eyes checked. Yupp, they were still there, but they did not focus at close ranges. I knew they didn't because I'm wearing progressive glasses. But that didn't cut it any more. I had to get myself reading glasses and hey presto, the dots were in focus and recognized straight away.

My experience was similar mate ...

Couldn't see detail at close range ...

So the missus sent me to get glasses ... Hey Presto - I can see brilliant now ...
:w00t:

The downside is [after a lifetime of bliss] - When I go to kiss her goodnight now - I have to close my eyes real tight and think of an imaginary but beautiful woman ... :)))

Fraser Jarvis

rudjarl;37986[/QUOTE said:
I had to get myself reading glasses and hey presto, the dots were in focus and recognized straight away.
yes this has been a side issue with me as well, i dident need readers until about two years ago, i can "just" read the music without them but sometimes i may miss something and start to improvise, which is something i shouldent be doing when playing the writen part, so now i dont chance it i wear them from the off.

Back to the advice everyones been giving me i now "force" read the dots, saying the name out loud away from the instrument as someone sugested and in what, less than a week? i seem to have cracked it!

Thanks.

Top Bottom