support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A new beginning

I should perhaps nuance my previous post.
On ability: I suck in comparison to those I consider to be (muchbetter sax players and to whose ability I still aspire to. At the same time, I'm content with my ability to play better than those who play less well than I do (see video).

On progress: If I don't feel I'm not making any progress, my motivation to play and practice decreases. In my experience, the progress that I've made has not been gradual but in fits and starts. I read/hear something that inspires me and my motivation to learn and practice increases. When I don't, my motivation drops and I go through the motions hoping something new will turn up. I'm still in awe of self-motivated and self-directed people. I discovered long ago that I'm one of those people who need external stimuli to keep me motivated. FWIW, whenever I feel that I'm in a slump, I've learned that it helps to actively seek out new inspiration: a new band, a new MD, a new tutor, etc.

To me, Jeanette's OP is an example of this: realizing you're in a slump, accepting it and finding some new inspiration. One of my other hobbies is photography and exactly the same applies too.

I play in two Big Bands who recently hired (by coincidence) the same new MD. He's competent, inspirational, motivates people and he helps us (individually, per section and as a band) to play better together. At each rehearsal, he lets us know how and where we've improved (individuals too) and he indicates things on which he still thinks need more work The difference between the new MD and the previous ones is truly amazing. He's a 'coach' in the sense that he fully accepts our limitations, invites and supports us to work on the things we can improve on - in order of priority - and complements us on the progress we make from week to week He's authentic and doesn't hesitate to note that some members have done too little practice. But all in all, he motivates people to practice and play better. A new tutor, MD or cafe post can often provide a kick-start to motivation.

My new MD doesn't (directly) help me play sax any better. But he does let me know how my tenor sax part/solo should sound and how the timing, balance, dynamics and interpretation of the piece could be improved. He gives tips to individuals and sections but leaves us to figure out how to play our instruments more skilfully (and listen and attune more carefully) to achieve that. In doing so, he inspires me to learn.

Last edited:
In my experience, the progress that I've made has not been gradual but in fits and starts. I read/hear something that inspires me and my motivation to learn and practice increases. When I don't, my motivation drops and I go through the motions hoping something new will turn up. I'm still in awe of self-motivated and self-directed people. I discovered long ago that I'm one of those people who need external stimuli to keep me motivated.

This is pretty much me also.

If I stamped this you’d know about it....

58FF2CFB-E290-46B6-98BA-8D531E993D05.jpeg

To me, Jeanette's OP is an example of this: realizing you're in a slump, accepting it and finding some new inspiration. One of my other hobbies is photography and exactly the same applies too.

I feel a lot of resonance with your post Mike. I forgot to mention before but I too got into photography in quite a big way about 10-15 years ago. Many of us have spoken at length about the type of person we are and how we learn. Unfortunately, I was the same photographer as I am a musician - interested in many styles/fields, and determined to be A1 at all of them - however with less years and energy to learn anew ahead of me.

I was into studio portraiture - this involved lighting, which I found really hard. I loved landscapes. Sports photography - specifically racing cars. Old planes. My dogs running etc I also did some some product marketing shots which did get used in a few superstores when the product went to market (a niche cosmetics brand). I was best at this in fact. This all needed the correct lenses of course - fast prime lenses, zoom lens, ultra zoom lens, macro...

Then there's the editing software. In the end I gave up. Hasselblad have a competition every year, and thumbing through the pages of shots I just decided that I couldn't deliver enough expertise to please myself on a regular-enough basis.

I found it interesting though that my character in music-making was the same in photography.

I stopped my lessons a year ago as I didn't feel I was progressing and I wanted to concentrate on my grade 5 theory exam. Since then I've changed jobs and moved house and playing has really taken a back seat.

Tomorrow I have my first lesson with a new tutor, hoping to get back into some serious practice and see some progress!

Wish me luck!

Jx

If you have a metronomic app on your phone or iPad here is an exercise that a few minutes a night as you lie down to sleep will make a huge difference.
Set the metronome to moderate 4/4 tempo. Set it running and listen to the beat for a few bars then either mute and just use the visual but however, get the groove going then take away the visual or oral cues for a bar and keep the count going with a whisper. After 4 beats look up to see if you kept the beat going. Keep working at this til you can go 4 bars (16 beats) without looking and be right on the money.

Will really help your sense of timing.
Whoop I did 4 bars, if nothing else it's given me confidence I can count! :)

Jx