support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A lil' help with the English food lexicon, please

I have terrible memories of 'sandwich paste' from my childhood. I used to get dragged around to various church functions by my mum, and many of these would involve refreshments of some kind. For the most part this turned out to be tea or weak squash and an assortment of triangular sandwiches, all brought along by various attendees.
The sandwiches were always filled with paste of some kind. The worst of it was that the paste all looked the same - so you couldn't tell what flavour you were getting on sight...and someone clearly had their own special recipe, because their sarnies always tasted like they were filled with some sort of vaguely metallic and bitter substance.

However, sandwich paste did have one redeeming feature; the jars it came in were often quite decorative.
I dug this one out of the ground in my back garden. Probably dates from the mid '60s.

View attachment 17977
Three Devilled Hams in a row and you hit a Salmon and Anchovy, it was Russian Roulette for a kid like me growing up in the 70s!

Memories of summer holidays in Blackpool, lunch was mother spreading 'paste' on sliced bread while we were sitting in a tram shelter out of the rain.

For grammatical accuracy the sandwiches were lunch, not mother.

Last edited:
This reminds me of that strange concoction in a jar that heinz introduced. "Sandwich spread". It tasted and looked like sick in a jar to me.
Ketchup butties or salad cream butties with sugar butties for afters washed down with home made liquorice water were a childhood tea. On that strange pack of rubber slices called "Mothers Pride"
It's a wonder we survived. :confused:

Sandwich spread was a great disappointment, once tried never repeated. I felt the same about salad cream but never had it with sugar which might improve things. Ketchup wasn't allowed in our house, never saw it, it was brown sauce or forget it.

Not really. The Bavette is also known as a flank steak (as is the onglet)...but that's more of an Americanism.
The Béarnaise is, well, a Béarnaise. I could have done a peppercorn sauce, a Marsala sauce, a mushroom sauce or even a chimichurri.
"Bavette" is the upper part of the "Flanchet". A meat/part with lots of "taste/flavor". Some preparation before it's grilled? Often you must help guests how to eat the "Bavette" by cutting it in smaller pieces.

"Bavette" is the upper part of the "Flanchet". A meat/part with lots of "taste/flavor". Some preparation before it's grilled? Often you must help guests how to eat the "Bavette" by cutting it in smaller pieces.
It needs no special prep - unless you want to stick a rub on it and let it sit a while.
It tends to be served sliced across the grain, which helps to preserve the succulence.

I'm still trying to get my head around "bubble and squeak" and "toad in the hole". . . .

My favorite sandwich spread growing up consisted of ground up hot dogs, plckle relish, green onions, and a dash of mayonnaise and mustard. I recreated it once in my adulthood and it was not that good.

Last edited:
On a menu in Prague, I once saw "Toad in the cheese hole" and "Toad in the wine hole".

The same menu also included "Lobster soap (true)"

My mouth's watering. Pickled onions, jellied eels, cockles, rollmops, saveloy, deep fried Glaswegian Black pudding with molten Mars bar and big fat chips. And battered and fried Cod Roe. Yummy. I really have been away too long. :))

My mouth's watering. Pickled onions, jellied eels, cockles, rollmops, saveloy, deep fried Glaswegian Black pudding with molten Mars bar and big fat chips. And battered and fried Cod Roe. Yummy. I really have been away too long. :))
the "molten Mars bar" is beyond my immagination....
you lost me there ......

Deep fried mars bar. A complete entertainment. The spectacle of the frier unwrapping and battering it then dropping into the hot fat is a myth busting delight. The mangled sticky mess produced is not pretty but a quite edible culinary sucess.
"Bubble and Squeak" so named because that's what your digestive system does about half an hour after consuming.
It never ceases to amaze me seeing it the freezer cabinet in some supermarkets. Left over dishes made on purpose seems to be a contradiction but...there we are.

Deep fried mars bar. A complete entertainment. The spectacle of the frier unwrapping and battering it then dropping into the hot fat is a myth busting delight. The mangled sticky mess produced is not pretty but a quite edible culinary sucess.
"Bubble and Squeak" so named because that's what your digestive system does about half an hour after consuming.
It never ceases to amaze me seeing it the freezer cabinet in some supermarkets. Left over dishes made on purpose seems to be a contradiction but...there we are.
I'm Australian and grew up with Bubble and Squeak (for those not familiar, it's the left over veggies and mashed potato made into patties, plate scrapings basically), recently an international chain Aldi's opened and I bought frozen Bubble and Squeak and tried it, it's rubbery, but not too bad!

Back
Top Bottom