support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Folk, World A lesson in tuning

Thank you so much for introducing me to Gal Costa. After 8 bars I became a fan. What a "tasty" rendition of this timeless bossa nova. Not too many notes. . . . just the right ones. :)
Indeed: so essential and perfect
I must find out the musicians and arranger: those alto/piano unisons are spotless

Tempo is a bit dull for my taste. Zzzzzz! Bossa Nova is a dance . Isn't it? I couldn't dance that slow, when I could dance, that is. ;)
For me it is music to relax by. The Getz/Gilberto album is still one of my favorites. Jobim left the world with so many beautiful tunes. I never tire of listening to them, but of course I'm an old sentimental geezer (who also likes standard ballads). What else can I say. :)

I heard the Getz/Gilberto album when I was still a child, but it is also a favorite of mine. I often try to play them but can't get(z) anywhere near it's smooth sound...

All of them: impressive tuning (and class!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgQyac-QOJ0

She's great. The guitarist and pianist are a bit un-creative and don't mix it up much. Much as I couldn't wait for Joao Gilberto to stop singing, his guitar comping is excellent. On Ipanema he not only keeps the groove nailed down but varies the rhythmic content without being too (consistently) syncopated and off-putting. Whilst nicely delivered, the sax and piano interlude doesn't fit the arrangement for me - but I think I'm stuck in Getz and Paul Desmond land and can't see further than that! These two were absolutely masterful at Bossa Nova Jazz. It sounds nice and easy, and some think that it is a bit 'throw away', but playing and soloing over Latin jazz is a real test. You have to cut the changes and keep the blues stuff to a minimum.

playing and soloing over Latin jazz is a real test. You have to cut the changes and keep the blues stuff to a minimum.
Very true. I spent years looking for the right approach, then the duo I was playing with dissolved for personal reasons.

Much as I couldn't wait for Joao Gilberto to stop singing, his guitar comping is excellent. On Ipanema he not only keeps the groove nailed down but varies the rhythmic content without being too (consistently) syncopated and off-putting.

I always find myself in the uncomfortable position of not liking jazz-bossa nova. Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz really are not my thing, and I find refreshing when João's coarse voice comes back in.
Everebody that I met so far disagrees with me, though.

About varying the rhytmic content, I am obsessed with this version: guitar is straight, voice is jumping around. João plays both

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keZulqPcPag

Very true. I spent years looking for the right approach, then the duo I was playing with dissolved for personal reasons.

I always find myself in the uncomfortable position of not liking jazz-bossa nova. Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz really are not my thing, and I find refreshing when João's coarse voice comes back in.
Everebody that I met so far disagrees with me, though.

About varying the rhytmic content, I am obsessed with this version: guitar is straight, voice is jumping around. João plays both

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keZulqPcPag

Yeah, it trips along amazingly. Don’t like the sound of his voice... but it’s fantastic nevertheless. His comping is just fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom