support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

8 Hour Gig

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
But thankfully not for me - I only did around an hour. :D

I was asked last week if I fancied joining in with BreakforCover! at their gig at a beer festival this weekend. When I asked what songs they were doing I was sent a list of 94 tracks. I eventually narrowed it down to around 25, and after writing sax parts for those songs that didn't have any in the original I finally got it down to around an hour's worth of music.

And then I kept being told that they'd changed the key or were doing a different version and I'd have to start learning the song all over again. :doh:

There was no practise before the gig - just turn up, play and 'make it sound like you've been playing with us for years.' I think I came pretty close, too. :D The band, though, played from 3pm to 11pm and nailed every song - including requests not on the list and jams when a muso from the audience joined it with another request not on the list. It was something of a tour de force.

I had a ball. I would say the audience seemed to like it as well.
QN4A2405.jpg

Yep, the place was bouncing and people really were dancing on the tables! :D

That was their old drummer. The new one, Adam, is in his own league. Not just technically spot on, he seems to have that extra something that makes everything he plays rhythmically irresistible.

It would be a crime to put him in a little perspex box. ;)

Plus, he's a drummer. It would be outrageously cruel to trap him in a three sided prison.

Wow- that sounds like a fun gig- What state was your bottom lip in the next day? Back in the days of Swampthings we used to busk about 6 hours then play an evening gig and, If I wasn't gigging for a couple of weeks and then went back to full on band schedule then it could really hurt the morning after (that was a 50/50 split of tenor and blues harps too)

Well, well, well - in the seventies, and looking back it was a time that I regard as my apprecticeship.
The band I played with in those days worked from 10:00 to 12:00 mornings, two or three days a week, band rehearsal for new numbers as well as rehearsal with the Cabaret Star.
Afternoons from 16:00 to 18:00 Cocktails - 2 x 45 minute sets.
Break for dinner, shower and back onstage from 20:00 to midnight and sometimes to 01:00 a.m.
45 minute sets and sometimes longer. Six days a week.
Sundays we had a day off but we often played private party gigs for wealthy punters.
Once did a Gypsy wedding for three days where we played from mid-day until whenever.
That was at least 12 hours a day and we were obliged to play Bésame Mucho every hour or so for at least 20 minutes.
If you can do what you love and you love what do - say yes - just do it.
Tempus fugit - time flies when yer havin' fun!

Wow- that sounds like a fun gig

Definitely was.

What state was your bottom lip in the next day?

I turned up with a split lip after the hours and hours of practise I put in to make sure I was ready in the time I was given. But I didn't have to do all eight hours hours so I was fine.

Back in the days of Swampthings we used to busk about 6 hours then play an evening gig and,

You must have had lips like the skin of a German sunbather. ;)