support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces 3D printing a mouthpiece

I own 5. An alto and a baritone of the Knoel Scott signature models and 3 'random' sopranos out of the Halloween lottery!

I didn't fall in love with them. Each to their own certainly applies for mouthpiece tastes.

But most importantly for me, I was not impressed by the finish. I improved them on the facing side as they were not right in my opinion, just because of the technology from what I can tell. Then the baritone one had a wide note that didn't fit right on my otherwise perfect neck cork!

Just my two cents!

But I love the concept.

I've spoken to my son about the materials he has;- PLA, ABS and PETG. They would all seem to be suitable, it's not exactly a tough environment. Does anyone know what the commercial 3D ones are made of? What's needed is the programme to print one. Plenty available free but are they any good?

Does anyone know what the commercial 3D ones are made of?
Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 08.20.34.png

I own 5. An alto and a baritone of the Knoel Scott signature models and 3 'random' sopranos out of the Halloween lottery!

I didn't fall in love with them. Each to their own certainly applies for mouthpiece tastes.

But most importantly for me, I was not impressed by the finish. I improved them on the facing side as they were not right in my opinion, just because of the technology from what I can tell. Then the baritone one had a wide note that didn't fit right on my otherwise perfect neck cork!

Just my two cents!

But I love the concept.
Surely you only bought them to add a splash of colour to your mouthpiece shelves?

I have got my 3D printed mouthpiece . My son printed it from files on the net. The finish turns out quite rough but 1/2 hour with 400 grit wet or dry used wet gives a good matt finish. I finished the facing with the same grade. The tip opening is about 1.8 - 2 mm. It has taught me a few things:-
1/ Playing a big tip opening [ I was using a Yamaha 4C] makes it a lot easier to play 2nd octave notes and they are a lot louder and generally sound better. I am using a no 2 Java reed. I thought i wouldn't be able to get a sound with the bigger tip opening.
2/ It's harder to play low octave notes than with the 4C. They tend to jump into the higher octave even without the octave key pressed.
3/ It's hard to play quietly, with less breath the note "gargles".
4/ You don't need a tightly gripping ligature. The printed one works very well even though it holds the reed a long way from the scrape.
I think I will try to get hold of a "proper" mouthpiece now with a larger tip opening.

Back
Top Bottom