support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces 3D printing a mouthpiece

Don't be negative! You can have a new mouthpiece in 24 hours and spend the following 10 year learning how to play it! It better than spending months looking for a mouthpiece and 10 years learning how to play it.

Hmmmm. Maybe 10 years isn't enough.

P.S. At the end we will all end up with a link or a meyer replica.

lol.

Not me. I played my link the other day. lovely, but I prefer the PPT sound. And my Morgan is supposed to be a Meyer copy, but it's nothing like it. Nicest was an old Brilhart, but that's another story.

Was just an observation.

Hmmmm. Maybe 10 years isn't enough.

10 years is the maximum time before realizing you really need a new mouthpiece (r at least is my personal, unbeaten record)

Not me. I played my link the other day. lovely, but I prefer the PPT sound. And my Morgan is supposed to be a Meyer copy, but it's nothing like it. Nicest was an old Brilhart, but that's another story.

You haven't been playing enough: there is one thing, worth being discussed here,that could be called "jazz regression".
You start being inspired by the young up and coming sax player, then you start going back in time: Brecker, Coltrane, Rollins, Hawkins...

At some point you find yourself thinking that the Six Brown Boys are the best band ever existed, but it is too late.

You haven't been playing enough: there is one thing, worth being discussed here,that could be called "jazz regression".
You start being inspired by the young up and coming sax player, then you start going back in time: Brecker, Coltrane, Rollins, Hawkins...

At some point you find yourself thinking that the Six Brown Boys are the best band ever existed, but it is too late.
Excuse my ignorance, but who are/were the Six Brown Boys? I tried Google but didn't find anything.

FWIW, I started being inspired by Bechet, and have been working my way forwards. I can just about handle listening to Parker and (some of) Coltrane now. Probably most into Rollins right now, though.

Excuse my ignorance, but who are/were the Six Brown Boys? I tried Google but didn't find anything.

FWIW, I started being inspired by Bechet, and have been working my way forwards. I can just about handle listening to Parker and (some of) Coltrane now. Probably most into Rollins right now, though

BROTHERS, sorry, Six Brown Brothers

And when you reach the contemporaries (maybe some extra smooth sax player) you will go back in time again....

Last edited by a moderator:
The only 3D printer that I have come across uses ABS material in 0.254mm layers (0.010"). Sodium Hydroxide is used to dissolve the soluble support needed to make cavities (unless the part is made in an orientation which doesn't need any support). This soaks into the holes between the ABS layers and no matter how many times you wash it or soak it in clean water the sodium hydroxide still appears as a white powder. The part can be sealed using a vapour smoothing process, but that is a very rare beast to find. Other processes are available and may be more suitable. CNC machining in metal (after proving the basic design in ABS) is a possibility but the sharp internal corners in the chamber may require hand finishing.

Alan

The only 3D printer that I have come across uses ABS material in 0.254mm layers (0.010").

yes that's the one I used. Which is a bit coarse for a useable mpc. I'm still perfecting the mpc, and I'm planning to print number 2 in a much finer layer than before and I hope that this will provide a "print and play" mpc.

I am seriously interested in creating a mouthpiece using 3d printing.
I am experimenting with the best configuration for a vintage Martin Handicraft C-Soprano. I have a CAD file, and was going to mill it, test it, then have a few made (lost wax cast), but a friend suggested 3d printing, so I am backing up, and investigating other people's experiences. I visited Koen88's site, but I couldn't send a note. I can't beat the spam filter -- I don't speak Dutch...

Thanks Colin the Bear,
I am not entirely sure that is a bad thing. I know that this statement is likely to ruffle some feathers, but (over the years) I have spoken with and dealt with a lot of mouthpiece makers and perfectors. Like anything, there are secrets, and techniques which yield better results. My perception is that better than half of the people in the mouthpiece industry are pompous asses. They approach their business as if they have some god-given right to grant someone the right to give them $200.00 to fix a device that the guy already had $200.00 invested. We are approaching a moment in which a design can be fixed as a drawing, and then printed. The truly gifted mouthpiece craftsmen will still have work, but the semi-gifted asses will be selling used cars. I think the survivors will be those with communication skills.

Thanks Colin the Bear,
I am not entirely sure that is a bad thing. I know that this statement is likely to ruffle some feathers, but (over the years) I have spoken with and dealt with a lot of mouthpiece makers and perfectors. Like anything, there are secrets, and techniques which yield better results. My perception is that better than half of the people in the mouthpiece industry are pompous asses. They approach their business as if they have some god-given right to grant someone the right to give them $200.00 to fix a device that the guy already had $200.00 invested. We are approaching a moment in which a design can be fixed as a drawing, and then printed. The truly gifted mouthpiece craftsmen will still have work, but the semi-gifted asses will be selling used cars. I think the survivors will be those with communication skills.

I'm leaving this post up for reasonable comment. It's not the sort of post we should be getting here.

...then impurities and imperfections apparently make all the difference in real killer mouthpieces! So this rush for perfections and minimizing of tolerances might do more harm than good in the end (Brancher use a very techy approach - decent MPs but not much really)....not to mention that the market is dominated by vintages made with materials which are nearly impossible to replicate nowadays simply because the old production methods aren't cost effective anymore. Then of course there is the human factor....no matter how technological advanced the system being adopted - the ultimate choice rely on human hearing and taste....

Since there are so many Cad trained/operators in these thread I had to jump into it myself being a pro Acad operator in the architectural field where tolerances are more forgiving of course....but still I get an idea.

The message is clear....is good having fun and toying trying to replicate or make your own mouthpiece especially if it's now becoming more affordable but keep an open eye and don't lose the human perspective.
I'll stick to messing about with a bit of polymorph granules left overs from some other works. Then, I'll send a letter of complaint to Salford uni (Product Design section) for wasting my time with prototyping using XPS back in 2002...apparently Polymorph granules have been around for "many years" according to some savvy in this forum - how is it that I didn't know it at that time? (silly me).

Hello,
My son in very much into 3D printing and has a very good printer. There is lots of free files online for 3D printing an alto mouthpiece and I would like to try . Has anyone tried any of the free printing designs and got good results. I want an easy to blow mouthpiece with a jazzy sound. I know there has been a lot of discussion on commercial ones but I couldn't find anyone who had tried it. Thanks

I was reading online reviews of the SYOS 3D printed mouthpieces last night. Have any forum members purchased one lately?

I like the concept of having a mouthpiece custom made for your own preferences. Even better if you have a 3D printer at home and you can make several.

Fortyniner - Do you know which material you will use to print your mouthpiece- ABS, PETG, polycarbonate or something else?

I was reading online reviews of the SYOS 3D printed mouthpieces last night. Have any forum members purchased one lately?

I like the concept of having a mouthpiece custom made for your own preferences. Even better if you have a 3D printer at home and you can make several.

Fortyniner - Do you know which material you will use to print your mouthpiece- ABS, PETG, polycarbonate or something else?
Well we have made quite a bit of commission on them in the last month, and this is main place we are advertsing or discount voucher so I imagine there may well be.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom