PPT mouthpieces

Your most influential jazz albums and players

are 2 different subjects, is all. Related, perhaps, but quite different.
I know everyone is kidding, but why would it be important that the questions are not the same. I was saving trees by not making yet another post. As for OT in the real world, that's when you start talking about Rugby in a topic about the overtone series that defines OT. Even then, the only problematic digression or OT is in a post with educational or informational value. This one is just a question to see where people are coming from. I don't understand the question about McCoy, that's a good album that defines his style, it may have been where it solidified post-Trane. I've listened to and enjoyed others like Afro Blue and Song for My Lady, but they didn't influence me much if at all. There are several sax players who are always mentioned and while they're great players, they have had zero influence on my musical hearing.
My post has no intrinsic value other than a distraction from a period where many have admitted they're not playing as much as they'd like. Maybe they should be listening to these influencers?

I feel like adding "What about relatively unknown players?" but I won't. Although you could pick a few.

PPS: How about one living and one dead?

Mingus at Antibes Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting. All of them
Fela Kuti and Afrika 70 Zombie. The brass section
Art Ensemble of Chicago Theme d’ Yoyo again the brass section
The Quintete. A Night in Tunisia. Parker
Hendrix Voodoo Child

Last edited:
I know everyone is kidding, but why would it be important that the questions are not the same. I was saving trees by not making yet another post. As for OT in the real world, that's when you start talking about Rugby in a topic about the overtone series that defines OT. Even then, the only problematic digression or OT is in a post with educational or informational value. This one is just a question to see where people are coming from. I don't understand the question about McCoy, that's a good album that defines his style, it may have been where it solidified post-Trane. I've listened to and enjoyed others like Afro Blue and Song for My Lady, but they didn't influence me much if at all.
a) because your initial thread was asking folks to offer their special albums...and then you asked for them to pick one artist. "important" is subjective, but as I said, for me the former subject for a thread is more interesting than the latter, because specific listening material is being noted.

b) your comment in bold reinforces why the thread might wanna stick to its initial subject. To you...that McCoy album is a special McCoy album. I, as a thread peruser, would be more inclined to go listen to some of it, now, particularly since you offered up a specific recording...than I would be inclined to start wading into non-specific McCoy material simply because I read a thread where someone replied "McCoy is my Jazz God".

That's about all. And you are correct, I am being a bit lightheated about this, and pulling your leg a bit...but the thread was more interesting (to me) when I was checking back in to view others' album lists....

Back
Top Bottom