• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Yamaha alto different models

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chas
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured

Chas

Member
Messages
169
Location
England
Hello everyone I've decided to save my Penny's or pounds ,save up and buy an alto Yamaha saxophone could anybody tell me the best 3 Yamaha saxophone and what the initials stand for after Yamaha yas is this Yamaha alto sax and the theres a number any info would be much appreciated charlie
 
Solution
Thanks, jaye ,I've decided to save up and buy a Yamaha do you know what the initials stand for after the name Yamaha yas etc and ehats the best 3 alto Yamaha saxophones cheers charlie
Hello. Alto ? or Tenor ? You were looking a a Tenor on this thread, no ?

Either way, as noted above YAS = alto, YTS= Tenor

FWIW a Yamaha student model isn't your only choice. They are often a default choice just because used they are relatively cheap and they are ubiquitous, also very reliable. But if you were looking for one, a Vito-branded one is gonna be cheaper than a Yamaha-engraved one.
The Vitos or Yamas were the model 21 and 23's, exxentially the same instrument really, just 2 or 3 minor changes made between 21 and 23. In your neck...
YAS-25 has a High F# key as do its successors (275; 280) whereas the 21, 23, and Vitos do not.

I have a nice YAS-25 I could be persuaded to part with (5% of sale price to forum fund).

From these student models you go into intermediate 32; 475; 480 then on to Pro 62; 82; 855; 875

For good used ones, student £400-600
Intermediate £600-1000
Pro £1000-2000

Then you have different ages and origins e.g. YAS-62 MkI, II, III; older Purple Logo (transfer on bell instead of engraving); Earlier Made in Japan; Later Made in Indonesia.

Confused?

They're all good. Some say Japan is better. Purple Logo sought after.

I've had alto, 21, 23, 25, 275, 32, 475, 62 PL & Vitos. 62 PL the best I've experienced. Vito best value IF you can find one.

As @JayeNM says, various makers made Vito (Yamaha; Jupiter; Beaugnier; Yanagisawa). Come back here if you're not sure and show us what you've found, to identify it.
Hello david thanks for info decided to get Yamaha 32 paid £875.00 from shop 6 months warranty what do you think chsrlie
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Apologies if this is off topic . Excuse me but I'm curious as to the " ROC " stamp.
@JayeNM : you say this stamp denotes " Jupiter " made..
So I got into a little trouble after selling a King " Zephyr " years back . It did look a little different to other Zephs I'd seen but to my limited knowledge back then the discrepancies were cosmetic.. ( key guards ) I recall. It played just fine.
The guy I sold it too in short said I'd ripped him off ; I had no idea and sold it with the best intentions believing it to be a King.
Sorry I'm going on but how does that work ? Was it a Jupiter made King ? ( if that makes sense )...
NB...It was stamped " ROC " apparently well hidden behind the adjustable thumb hook...
It is OT, but it's an interesting situation you had there....and I think we can clear up the situation in one more reply without digressing the thread - do you still have a photo of the horn ?

I have seen 'modern' horns engraved "Zephyr"...and those are definitely asian-produced.

Did the horn read HN White or King or Eastlake anywhere ?

Or did you possibly just see "Zephyr" engraved on it, assumed Zephyr was a King model, then simply mistakenly sold it as a King Zephyr ?
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Hi George ; it was probably ten years back or more so no pics or real detail remembered I'm afraid : other than the guy who bought it being p***** at me..
I do recall he sent his bandmate with cash to pick it up as he was either too busy or too far away ? Looking back ; regardless of what I thought if he couldn't make the effort to check it out or to at least ask relevant questions; well that really is his problem to a large extent. The guy was a dealer..he should have phoned or preppped his friend..
Honestly I think my opinion was the latter..saw Zephyr ; assumed and sold it as a King . I had been playing for some time but it was a time without internet information ; I didn't buy and sell in those days .
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
The slickest alto keyboard I've ever played, unaltered other than service, is a Yamaha 23 alto, owned by my cousin.

Because it was my cousin's, I could spend as long as I wanted on it, for as long as I cared to try.

I would not say the same of the tenor (due to keytouch spacing, mainly), but the 23's keyboard is outstanding.

Tone? Not so much for me. I would not want one, but the keyboard is on point.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,950
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom