I would snap up this horn. You can likely get it for 1,000£, looks lightly used and worth far more and would give a 475 more than a run for it's money.
I didn't have the opportunity to dive too deeply into it - it was bought for a tour and my remit was a checkover and setup.I wonder if you came across one of the Vietnamese made horns or Taiwanese models. If the former, it's very likely to be the same sax as my Kessler. I haven't had many complaints in the 13 years I've used it. Lacquer still looks brand new. I'm also a fan of their keyboard layout. The non-stick G# mechanism is also a particularly nice addition. It's the best duel neck soprano for the price that I've come across. Not as easy of a blow as that 475, though. I don't know if Yamaha simply cracked the code with their bore design, or if that built in neck benefits the pitch due to the lack of a relatively large , for the pitch, tenon and receiver interfering with sonic nodes. In any event, Chateau knows how to make a decent soprano. My tech did note that they were a little lean with the pad adhesive, but considering that I was using the thing fairly frequently for over a decade before some upper stack pads needed to be reseated (one was all out replaced), I think that the factory setup held up well to reasonable expectations.
Certainly a great doubler horn, and worthy of mention along with the 475. I regard the Yamaha so highly, because it was the first soprano I ever picked up. The fact that I was able to play the thing with very little adjustment and in tune no less spoke volumes to how well designed it actually is. I've played a number of vintage and lesser made Chinese horns since, and yeah... you can make them do what you want, but you're going to be working for it. Chateau/Kessler cost about the same as a used Yamaha, give you a few more features for the price, and are pretty comparable to the 475.And yeah, not as free-blowing as the Yamaha....but the thing I noticed most of all about it was that it had an almost alto-like presentation. Which is ideal for someone who doesn't like sopranos but needs one 🙂
I think it was Yanagisawa's idea, yes.Wasn't the removable neck on sopranos Yanagisawa's initiative ?
As they did it on the curvies, it was pretty natural to transfer that know-how onto straight horns.
The market said yes.
As far as I know, Yanagisawa is on waiting-lists for most of their horns.
Owning a curved Yanagisawa for 3 decades, I see the removable neck as a benefit. Packing, cleaning, and probably also maintenance.
Speaking of straight sopranos, less sure. I bought my 875 a year ago, and play it with the straight neck. Like a soprano, without strap. Sidney, Zoot, John or Jerome as visual role models.
Not getting any younger, the bent neck and strap posture might well make sense in a foreseeable future. The interchangeable neck gives you the option. Wayne or Branford can't be wrong...
Well I'm in my way back from the shop now....WITH my Trevor James soprano still.Take your horn with you and do a shoot out between it and all the horns.
One sax may feel lighter more balanced in the hands, ergonomics of the keys may feel more natural due to your hand size. I have large hands at least long fingers so some horns feel cramped in my hands.
No one has asked and you have not mentioned but what mouthpiece are you using? A mouthpiece change can bring about tonal and improved ease of control at a moderate price.
I had exactly the same problem the first time I played a 475 soprano. In fact it rather shocked me - because making an out-of-tune modern soprano would be commercial suicide, especially for a company like Yamaha. I made a note about it in my review of the sop at the time.I just could not play that Yamaha in tune! It was almost a whole semitone flat at times. After a few minutes of embouchure and inside my mouth gymnastics I was hitting the green smiley face on the tuner but not consistently.
I tried my soprano and it was in tune. So I reluctantly had to leave the beautiful 475 in the shop.
I'm glad it's not just me then! After a few minutes I was getting in tune notes but was amazed at how out of tune I was on the 475. That's why I left it. Felt lovely I'm my hands though, and in "as new" condition as described. It seemed a bit lighter than my TJ.I had exactly the same problem the first time I played a 475 soprano. In fact it rather shocked me - because making an out-of-tune modern soprano would be commercial suicide, especially for a company like Yamaha. I made a note about it in my review of the sop at the time.
But as I played it over 15 minutes or so it began to come into tune. Half an hour later and I was wondering what on earth I was making a fuss about.
I think what threw me was that I wasn't expecting to have to go through that 'steering' process with a modern horn (pretty much a standard requirement when picking up an unfamiliar vintage sop).
So maybe it might be worth a return trip...and just a little more time blowing it?
I believe it was a mkII. I think this episode of GAS has passed although I really would prefer not to have a removable neck, so it's possible I will end up getting something that is all in one piece, just not the 475.So is your GAS tap shut off after that trip and are you going to keep playing what you brought?
Not that there is much difference but was it a II or a I that you tried?
It's mostly down to personal preference - but there are some technical issues associated with detachable crooks on sopranos.I think the issues are over stated and many protest to much about two piece sopranos.
The detachable necks on my straight soprano both move when I try to adjust my mouthpeice. It's very annoying 😤If I was buying a Soprano today, it would be a one piece with a curved neck.
So it has the potential to be a problem that the straight does not have and when it becomes a problem it can be a difficult problem to deal with.
Howard do you encounter this problem in your shop very often? 🤔
