support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Wireless mic question

Taz

Busking Oracle
As many of you know, I play two saxes in the same song, but not at the same time. My question is simple. If I use two wireless clip on mics, both using the same frequency, would I get away with using one receiver, or would I have to have two wireless mics on different frequencies and two receivers?

As I understand it it would be fine as long as the mic you're not using is off (i.e. unconnected to the receiver). So you've got to remember to turn off the one you've finished with and turn on the one you're about to use. If your mic is like mine, with a mute, muting the first mic won't be enough since while it's muted it's still connected to the receiver and would prevent the second mic's sound from being sent to the mixer.

Probably quicker to get a clippy mic, or just use a static for that song?

Nick

Yes, that's right. You'd have to make sure the transmitter was off on the one you're not using. The residual carrier from a just muted one might (or might not) block reception of the wanted signal. One phenomenon of FM transmission (I'm assuming it is FM) is what's called "capture effect". The stronger signal of two or more on the same frequency is the one the receiver locks on to. If you're moving around with both transmitters on, body or other shielding could change the relative strength of the received signals so you couldn't be sure that the one you wanted was the strongest.
YC

Thanks for the replies guy's, its what I presumed but I wasn't sure. I don't get time to turn one mic off and the other on as the switch between saxes is too quick and takes all my concentration.
I've been asked to put in a wish list for this gig in Canada and seeing as I'm not paying for the gear I've asked for two wireless sets on different frequencies and a saxrax stand for tenor and bari. Happy days.

Thanks for the replies guy's, its what I presumed but I wasn't sure. I don't get time to turn one mic off and the other on as the switch between saxes is too quick and takes all my concentration.
I've been asked to put in a wish list for this gig in Canada and seeing as I'm not paying for the gear I've asked for two wireless sets on different frequencies and a saxrax stand for tenor and bari. Happy days.

Hey Hey Taz ...

Any chance you can add on some bit n pieces for me mate ...

Shall I email you a list ... :))) :w00t: :)))