support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Why cant we debate truthfully with no holds barred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mann

Account Closed
Do we as grown ups,need the arbitrary limits imposed(moderated)by someone who wields power but cannot support freedom of speech?
One mans insult is another mans poison!
Regards
Mann

Do we as grown ups,need the arbitrary limits imposed(moderated)by someone who wields power but cannot support freedom of speech?
One mans insult is another mans poison!
Regards
Mann

Er, wrong forum I think.

It's not like that here as we are all jolly nice.

Rhys

I did not find your debating style particularly adult or grown up - I found it was quite personally offensive to several people that I respect, and set quite an unpleasant tone. I was glad that Pete intervened before I had taken the opportunity to make a complaint, and I would have had no problem with your receiving a written warning about your approach to others. I thought that the thread was about some personal thoughts that you had had during the experience of a particular operation. Your conclusion seemed to be some idea that "Jazz is Dead", and that you weren't, having survived the operation.

I would not particularly want to enter a debate or discussion given my experience of how you seem to relate to others and I am very glad that Pete has developed and contributed to a very approachable and friendly atmosphere on Cafe Saxophone.

Tom

My take on this ...

Sorry mate ... :(

But I particularly like it here because the members behave in a very respectful and friendly manner ... Most of the chatter here is all about music and saxophone(s) ... :sax:

I think that if you choose too, you can find loads of websites where you can debate all day long "and be as obnoxious as you like" if that's what you really want to do ...

I am not saying that's what you came here for ...

I am sure that you will be welcome to stay here "as long as you are reasonable in your opinions and considerate to the other people" who reside here ...

I gotta say - From what you've written so far - I really can't be bothered to read so much stuff that has nothing to do with music or Saxophone ... So I would certainly be turned off by the idea of having a debate here ...

Hope that helps ...

Now lets have some fun here and chatter about Saxophones [and the like] ... :w00t:

I have no idea what the concern is here as I am not aware of previous discussions. But just on a general note for everyone, I would like to comment on the following concept (taken directly from the title of this thread)

Why cant we debate truthfully with no holds barred?

I think the term "debate" here may be a bit presumptuous. All "discussion forums" do not need to become "debate forums".

In other words, there is no reason that a person needs to defend a personal opinion to the death as though it needs to be some sort of "absolute truth" that must be accepted by everyone.

The idea is to just state your views on various things, and accept the views of others as being their personal vantage point.

Obviously there are technical topics that can be resolved to an "absolute" right or wrong. But trying to debate personal opinions about something becomes a futile process that can only escalate emotionally as each person tries to justify their personal views over the challenger's views. It becomes an "attack and defend" war of personal opinions that can only spiral out of control.

So when it comes to personal opinions, the very term "debate" may be inappropriate.

Just accept that not everyone shares the same views on things. And view the forum as a "discussion forum", not as a "debate arena" where things need to be debated to the death.

Just my thoughts, yours may vary. ;}

PS:

In certain environments I believe freedom of speech is a good thing.

This happens to be a privately owned moderated forum, with very specific rules, so freedom of speech is irrelevant.

Partly this is because this is not a publically owned site, it is a website which I started and which I pay and so I can edit it how I see fit or allow comments etc. as I see fit. Normally it is not necessary to apply any kind of moderation, which is quite rare for this type of forum.

Anybody who wants freedom of speech on a saxophone forum might be best off posting on alt.music.saxophone. That is an unmoderated saxophone newsgroup with freedom of speech, this one does not pretend to allow freedom of speech (nor does SaxOnTheWeb) so my best advice to anybody who doesn't like either the rules or the decisions of the administrator or moderators is (politely and respectfully) to not post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.