support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Why are sax pads still made of leather

Mikey B

Hi all,

I am wondering why in this age of modern plastics and synthetic materials why is there not an alternative to leather pads yet?

Anybody had similar thoughts or experimented with alternative materials?

Regards, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point

The vibrosax a polymer sax made in the far east has rubber pads but I don't know if it as gone into production yet.

To be honest the sax industry is not really built on innovation.

Maybe the Chinese will change things

Mamos

There are also metal flake/coated pads that last a lot longer. Natural hide is still the most ideal for a lot of reasons. One of the main reasons being that many of the synthetic or manufactured pads require very precise fitting and very even toneholes. When they work they are superb. When they dont they require a lot of skill and effort to return to ideal playing conditions.

Leather type materials are more forgiving. Also, there is tradition. It takes a lot to pull most musicians away from tradition to buy into a new fangled item. Lastly, there is tone. When you move to harder materials that dont absorb sound the tone of the isntrument changes...like getting noyak resonators. Some love them, some hate them. Its just easier to sell a horn with what is considered "the standard".

Also, they work.

well have you tried plastic sandals with nylon socks, lycra Y fronts wth Pvc trousers topped off with a nylon shirt on a warm day..;}

I have visions of Duane Dibbley in my head now

fetch_image.php

mamos