support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Whoop - Selected Duets by H. Voxman

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Locality
Cheshire UK
About three weeks ago my tutor left me with a piece of music to learn from Selected Duets by H. Voxman. I told him I wanted to work on my counting, thinking he'd choose something easy but he didn't (do they ever). :rolleyes:

So we had a couple of run throughs and as ever with anything new in front of someone I'm pretty rubbish so he recorded his part and left it with me. I have struggled with one part where I have to hit E above the stave. The struggle being I've not played that note much and the fingering and the note weren't coming easily. Eventually I could hit the note every time but the fingering and thought going in to it meant I lost my rhythm. Anyway tonight I started playing and recording myself too. Kept fluffing it but pretty pleased with my timing on the rest of it.

But I've just nailed that bit so feeling very pleased with myself. It probably won't happen again and certainly won't in my lesson tomorrow but I know I can do it and that will do for me. :)

The lesson here is just keep trying it will come. :cool:

Jx

Another thing that will help is to do long tones from the top F# down.

I usually hold each one for about 8 seconds ( two wholes @-60bpm)

Use some external device to maintain correct intonation, preferably one where you are using your eRs rather than your eyes such as a drone or tone generator.

Record your efforts the first day and then again a month or so of this practiced regularly. Compare ..... You will be amazed.

Well I haven't picked the sax up since posting this as I've been laid low with some virus. Just had another go and am still getting the bit that troubled me so just goes to show a break isn't always a bad thing :)

Thanks for the advice @Colin the Bear and @Jazzaferri Chromatic scale is one I rarely do so will have a go at that.

Jx

Make a chromatic scale bottom to top and back again part of your daily practice. Your fingers and embouchure will remember where all the notes are even if you forget.

Exactly. Also practice starting on different places on the horn and go up and down. Every few weeks my teacher will ask me to play my chromatics. That has forced me to keep on it. Now he is starting to make me use chromatics in my solos.

Well done! I am working on a riff in One Note Samba that was causing me similar pain, but it is largely there now (or was before the pox).

Well done! I am working on a riff in One Note Samba that was causing me similar pain, but it is largely there now (or was before the pox).
It will still be there, hope you are feeling better :)

Jx

You have a good teacher. I can tell by the literature he selected. Which duet is it that you are working on?

You have a good teacher. I can tell by the literature he selected. Which duet is it that you are working on?
It's ex 58 on page 44. Not got a title. It has grown on me and I am enjoying playing it now :)

Jx

Had my lesson tonight, still not totally well but was told there are improvements in my playing and it is coming together so double whoop and a glass of Sanatogen tonic wine to celebrate!!!
:sax::sax::sax:
Jx