support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Who sparked your love of Sax music

I know that a lot of us think of the jazz greats when we think of great sax players but what track or player was the initial spark that lit the flame of love for the sax and sax music.

I think it was the sax part in careless whisper played by Steve Gregory that started it all and the the sax solo from "Will you" by Hazel O Conner can't remember who the sax player was but someone will tell me

Who was it for you?

mamos

For me, as per a few of the others, there was definitely the Ska revival/Two Tone thing; the horn section from Dexy's version of Geno (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roY1HnIrSMc) was great, a whole bunch of stuff by Madness, but before them all was SpyroGyra, Morning Dance, and additionally was about the first full piece I've learned (still learning the lyrical bit at the end).

Other than that, Will You, bits from Dark Side of the Moon and other Floyd stuff.

Cheers

T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to inject a sour note of a different experience of Courtney Pine. Mrs YC and I must be some of the few people who overall did not enjoy seeing his concert. When he came on stage he played phenomenal soprano. Also played some great tenor. However as the show went on anyone who thought they could beatbox or rap was invited up and to us the whole show degenerated into a kind of disorganised amateur talent show. Lots of the audience clearly did enjoy it, but it's not what we went for. Pity, as we were really looking forward to hearing him - sounds as though others had a better experience.
Colin

Zoot and Bird

It was definately Zoot's final note on the muppets' theme tune which first made me want to play at the age of about 7 (and my dad played), but the first sax player that I really sat down and listened to was Bird and from that moment on I've been hooked.

As I write this I'm listening to the remastered Massey Hall recording.

Still astounded by the man.

Glen

For me it was King Curtis and Jr Walker in the late 60's.

But the saxophone brainwashng started earlier. My fathers favourite saxplayer was Charlie Barnet (bandleader, Swing, big band). He use to play Charlie songs on Sundays. Songs like Cherokee, Redskin Rhumba, Harlem Nocturne, Gloomy Sunday .... are for ever in my head. Barnet was a great player and sometimes I play the records myself.

Thomas

After my wedding in 1990 we went along to choose a hi-fi system, as a gift from the out-laws; we chose a Linn/Naim system which we still have to this day. I had taken several albums along to test the various options available, and one of the records was Andy Sheppard's debut album. On listening to this the sales consultant remarked - "if you like this you'll love Jan Garbarek". He was absolutely right and I've never looked back. Then got into North European Jazz, then also decided to learn both sax and trumpet.

Never looked back:cool:
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

However as the show went on anyone who thought they could beatbox or rap was invited up and to us the whole show degenerated into a kind of disorganised amateur talent show. Lots of the audience clearly did enjoy it, but it's not what we went for. Pity, as we were really looking forward to hearing him - sounds as though others had a better experience.
Colin

Fair point in fact I was a little disappointed that he didn't play any tenor at all just sop and a base clarinet which was awesome - I want one.

Right at end for his encore he started In a Mellow Tone on sop and then invited the audience to join in. Bit rubbish as I wanted to hear him play.

Glad I didn't go to your concert.

I know that a lot of us think of the jazz greats when we think of great sax players but what track or player was the initial spark that lit the flame of love for the sax and sax music.

I think it was the sax part in careless whisper played by Steve Gregory that started it all and the the sax solo from "Will you" by Hazel O Conner can't remember who the sax player was but someone will tell me

Who was it for you?

mamos

For me it's got to be the sax part from Norman Smiths aka Hurricane Smith "Oh Babe What Would You Say". :blush: can't remember the sax player but think he was paid a one off £25 :))) Tony

Reactions: ptg
When I wer't'kid growing up in Yorkshire in't 60's (or it could even have been the early 70's) there was a public information film about the Countyside, and keeping the Country Code, backed by Paul Desmond playing Take 5. Since then I have always loved the Alto Sax. It has only taken me about 40 years to do something about learning to play it.....think of all that wasted time...

I guess I've been listening to jazz since before I was born, which makes it difficult to say who sparked my love of the music.
But I particularly remember Ronnie Scott on the box back in the 70s talking about playing sax which made me think 'I want to play one of those'. The interviewer asked him what it was about the sax that made him want to play - he said something like it being the closest thing to the human voice. My memory says it was on Pebble Mill at One - but I'm sure someone here will tell me otherwise ;}
Shame it took me until the early 90s to get my sticky paws on one.

and the the sax solo from "Will you" by Hazel O Conner can't remember who the sax player was but someone will tell me

Who was it for you?

mamos

Wesley McGoogan was the magician behind "Will you." A fantastic sax player from Hastings. He was also a carpenter, which lead to his demise as a sax player. He had an accident with a circular saw and ended his career. Very sad.

He was one of my influences, as well as Candy Dulffer. Since I started playing the sax, I'm influenced by anyone who can play better than I can.....most people then!:)))

I was the Sax men on "Kind of Blue" that got me, just the sound of Coltrane and Cannonball hit the raw centre, still does now. Also Archie Shepp on a forlorn romantic trip to Germany in 2000 his old album "Going Home" with Horace Parlane did ditto. Many others continue to fan the flames.
Cheers & Ciao

Jimu

For me it was probably Wesley Magoogan who played Alto Sax on Hazel Oconnors "Will You" hit record, I was just amazed when I first heard that, it was just really haunting. I guess that was around 1981.

I found my tastes kind of twisted and turned throughout the years though, and nowadays I am really into the blusey R+B honking type of thing, some of my favourites are: Earl Bostic, Red Prysock, Cifford Scott, Eddie Lockjaw Davis and so on. Sadly nobody seems to play that kind of stuff anymore?

Regards, Mikey B

Acker Bilk was my idol as at the age of about 10 (stranger on the shore) and my parents got me a clarinet which cost my dad a weeks wage then. I wanted a sax straight away after but didnt dare ask. Little Richard, Bill Haley, The Coasters were influeces along with THe Glen Miller Sound. I suppose I like all music with a sax in it, which makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I have been a bit ignorant of alot of good sax players to my detrement. I am now a late bloomer so I have found the forum very helpful in broadening my knowledge. I wish there had been forums like this then.

I have no recollection of any specific motivation.

One day I happened to say I wished I'd learned to play an instrument when young. What, I was asked. Saxophone I replied, and things just sort of happened from there.

Don't know and can't explain why I said it. Feels rather strange to find everyone else had some specific inspiration. I must be odd.:eek:

I had no real influence - I was serving in the Royal Marines when I went out and got a tad tiddly on the old beer, woke up the next morning with a major hangover and had a saxophone at the bottom of my bed and a visa bil for 700 odd quid! I got meself a tune a day book and the rest as they say is history.

Not very esoteric, but hey, I was only 12 years old - heard James Taylor's cover of "How Sweet it Is" one summer day, and was possessed to copy David Sanborn's solo by ear....and so it began....continued with his late 80s Sunday Night Jazz TV show with Jools Holland.

In between - the first "saxophone" record I ever bought with my allowance, The Crusaders, "Those Southern Knights".

I love this thread - I am re-inspired to investigate other great musicians - thanks everyone for sharing them :welldone

I found my tastes kind of twisted and turned throughout the years though, and nowadays I am really into the blusey R+B honking type of thing, some of my favourites are: Earl Bostic, Red Prysock, Cifford Scott, Eddie Lockjaw Davis and so on. Sadly nobody seems to play that kind of stuff anymore?

Regards, Mikey B
Ray Gelato & Sax Gordon do....