support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Which pads to use for a repad?

Kumimajava

Locality
Oxford, UK
Hi guys,

so it seems my itch for faffing about with saxophones has started playing up again & I'm seriously considering buying a 'banger of a sax' to practice repadding on.

So my question is: where does one buy replacement pads, and which ones would be a decent price/quality compromise?

I'm not expecting my first repad to work very well - so a trip to see either Griff or Mr. Howard may be in order afterwards. But i'd like to give it a go anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

http://www.musicmedic.com/ They sells sets of pads for most brands and models.

I used to buy from Ferree's Tools, Battle Crek, Michigan, USA. They are also selling sets.

In the early 80's the UK company Peter Pollard Musical Instruments Ltd, Bury, use to send me information. They sold pads. I don't know if they still are in business.

Thomas

Hi Daniel,

I would advise against buy a set of pads as quite often there will be a few that wont fit.

You are much better IMHO buying your pads individually from either:

www.windcraft.co.uk

or www.windplus.co.uk

you should buy the standard pad rather than the deluxe ones - theyre a little more forgiving.

You can also order felt, cork glue springs etc from them too.

before you dive headfirst into buying a sax may I advise you purchase a book called

Reg Thorpes complete guide to woodwind repair.

There is plenty of good advice/ tips and methods of how to fit pads, regulate corks, take up play in keywork etc etc. well worth the money IMHO

it will also tell you in there the best method of measuring your key cups for pads - you really cant do without either vernier or digital calipers ( about £15 from maplins)

Good luck and let us know hoe you get on.

thanks for the advice Griff.

I'm yet to acquire the 'victim' sax, so it might be a while before I get an update to you guys - but i promise that once the process starts, i'll keep you guys in the loop.

meanwhile, i'm still trying to find a few spare 'wednesdays' to get in touch with you & drop off my horns for maintenance... but it always seems i'm busy on wednesdays :(

It might be a good idea for me to have a go at repairing my old C Melody

I don't think it is worth spending too much money on it but it would be nice to get it playing again

mamos

Is there any place in the UK were you can buy set's of Roo Pad's? or do you have to get from the USA?(musicmedic). not seen any place on the web that just sell's them here,strange.Any 1 got any info.

Hi Davey,

Not sure you can get Roo pads in the UK, Think you would have to get them sent over from USA. Mental money though!

Regards, Mike

I get my roo pads from the states - musicmedic do black ones or white ones. saxgourmet also do them - both come with a plethora of choices regarding resonators.
I also remember from Frankfurt that there is a company in europe that make brown roo pads.

I dont think there are any suppliers in the uk that sell roo pads and if they did they'd get them from one of the above. you d be better ordering them from the US direct.

Crazy how there's no place you can buy yourself here in the UK for Roo's.My pal just got his done with white roo pad's on his MK6 but i like the look of the black 1's.I had the black pad's on my Steve Goodson curved soprano and they did not stick once.I suppose some place will start selling them sooner or later.I hate buying from the USA as it can take age's some time's and i have no patience

Resonators

While we're on the subject of pads, could anyone enlighten me on the various effects of metal resonators, plastic resonators, no resonators, etc.

My 'the Martin' tenor has no resonators and to me it sounds fine, but could it be better with some type of resonator?

Martin

While we're on the subject of pads, could anyone enlighten me on the various effects of metal resonators, plastic resonators, no resonators, etc.

My 'the Martin' tenor has no resonators and to me it sounds fine, but could it be better with some type of resonator?

Martin

HI Martin,

I think there are small differences between the resonators. It's more a feeling and psychcal thing. Hard to hear the differences. On my Martins I have:

Comm II -40: Plain pads, just with a rivet. Ok.

The Martin Alto -57. Pads with a small nikelplated resonator. Close to the original. The resonators can give corrosion probleme. Black marks on some pads.

Martin Handcraft -38: ResoTech sterling silver resonators (oversized). With screw on backside so you can use them over and over again. Makes the sax to play loud.

The Martin Tenor -55: Pads with a small nikelplated resonator. Cloose to the original. The resonators can give corrosion probleme.

The Marin Magna Tenor -59: ResoTech sterlling silver resonators (oversized). With screw on backside so you can use them over and over again. Makes the sax to play loud.

The Martin Baritone -62: Martin Chanu (Selmer) with brown domned plastic resonators. Works well. Beter than the the original typ of pads.

I think ResoTech resonators is #1. Feels right and I can hear a small differnence when it comes to this resonators. Quite expensive.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas.

It sounds like you have quite a collection of instruments...ever thought of openning a museum!

So if I understand you correctly, the resonator affects volume more than tone. I read somewhere that resonators can give the altissimo range more punch. Would you say that's true, or not?

I'm not really thinking of changing anything at the moment, I'm just collecting information.

Martin

Thanks Thomas.

It sounds like you have quite a collection of instruments...ever thought of openning a museum!

So if I understand you correctly, the resonator affects volume more than tone. I read somewhere that resonators can give the altissimo range more punch. Would you say that's true, or not?

I'm not really thinking of changing anything at the moment, I'm just collecting information.

Martin

Yes, I think saxes with resonators plays with more volume. Metal or plastic I can't hear any difference. The size of the resonnators are also importanant.

The Martin saxes has a differnt tube and tonholes placement and that gives us a differnt sound/feeling comparing to modern saxes. The tone of a Martin sax is determind by by geometriscs(?) that are shaped in the the conical tube between the toneholes. The solder on toneholes also give different angels and geometetrics compared to other saxes. How much does the thickwall body, resonators and the soldered on toneholes for the tone? I think you can massproduce a Martin like sax with thin wall, drawn toneholes .... . The tone is shaped by the player, mpc/setup, neck and construction of the conical tube. It can be as much a 90-95 % of the sound. Silver, gold, thickwall, thinwall, silver touches, pads, resonators is not so important to the tone/sound... . A plastic mpc like Rico Metalite sounds better than most massproduced metal mouthpieces!! So maybe a plastic, kevlar ... mass produced sax can give us a better sax as well and to less cost?

A little bit of topic.

Thomas