PPT mouthpieces

Which care / maintenance kit for a alto sax

wilo

Locality
Liverpool
I am now the loving owner of a Trevor James Classic Horn :) and I want to purchase a care / maintenance kit for which ( if any ) kit will give me everything I need?
I have noticed there are a few options on sax.co.uk

Cheers

How far do you want to go? Stephen Howard's Haynes Saxophone Manual is a great starting place and tells you what you need to do the different jobs.

Minimum (imho) is a pull through for inside the body, soft cloth for cleaning the outside, a brush/pull through for the neck, and cork grease. If you want to go further, adjusting keys, then a set of jewellers screwdrivers will do most of what's needed. To start with the corks/felts a supply of cork sheet, felts, shellac/glue, very sharp knife (think old fashioned razor blades) and fine wet and dry (400, 600, 800, 1000 grades). And some smooth faced pliers, for bending keys. Springs need more round nosed pliers and a spring remover. For pads add in a set of pad slicks and a small spirit lamp, or small gas torch that's easily controllable and will shut down to a low flame, and a pack of cigarette papers or a leak light.

But it's all in Stephen's book.

Hi Kevgermany thanks for the advice i have purchased Stephen Howard's Haynes Saxophone Manual and should have it tomorrow, i was thinking about getting one of these care kits, which would be most suitable?
http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/saxophones_co_uk_Care_products_for_saxes_28.html

there is a Sakkusu Sax Care Kit and a Le Blanc Sax Maintenance Kit

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly recommend getting a dedicated neck/mouthpiece pull-through, as well as a main body pull-through.

I don't think it makes much difference which one you go for. The little reedguards are not much use - on for 4 reeds is a better bet. And the key oil may not be needed if your sax has greased rods. But the kits often offer bette value than buying the bits separately. I prefer a bush for the neck - helps keep it clean inside, the one I have hasa nylon brush on one end, and a towelling swap at the other, so you scrub it clean, then dry it out. Towelling works well for the mouthpiece as well, as long as you're careful.

Old handkerchiefs are free and useful.
As well as wiping over the body I use one as a mouthpiece push and pull through and one to swab the neck before using a pullthrough.

hi i bought the con one but not overly impressed i would go for the £15-00 one seems a fair set covers a lot of the bits you mat need to keep it dry and clean
all the best
pip