support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

When I grow up I want to be......

dooce

.....Gilad Atzmon and play in The Blockheads.

Just got in from seeing them play in Banbury - brilliant as ever, but Gilad was on fire. ****, what a tone, what precision, what artistry, what general, overall, other-worldly ridiculous talent.

Unfortunately, being a couple of years past bus-pass eligibility, I might have set myself a slightly unrealistic target - but you've got to have a dream, as the song goes.

:)

I've never heard Gilad Atzmon and The Blockheads but after reading your description of the experience I can only imagine that was indeed musical bliss.

Ironically, I'm just the opposite of you. If I hear someone playing something really well, I'm satisfied that it's being done well and so there's no need for me to aspire to do it. (ha ha)

If I may, I would like to share the following story.

I became interested in learning to play the violin a few years back. The thing that lead me up to this was the Bach partitas and sonatas for solo violin. I became very interested in these pieces of music and ran out and bought a CD of all the great violinists who played these pieces. I listened to them all intently, but none of them truly hit the spot. My most favorite was probably Yehudi Menuhin, although I enjoyed the performances of others as well.

Just the same none of them truly 'hit the spot' for me. I always wanted to hear them played a little differently. So I set out to learn to play them in the hope that someday I could express my own feelings of how they should be played. I'd probably never reach that goal anyway, but it was a goal just the same.

BUT THEN I ran across a young female violinist by pure chance. Her name is Hilary Hahn. When I heard her play I couldn't believe my ears. That's how I would play them IF I could play the dag blasted instrument! She beat me to it. And good for her too because I'm sure I would have never been able to sound like she does.

But now I don't need to learn to play the violin anymore because Hilary does it just fine.

+1 for Hilary. Saw a programme on TV made a few years back. She a and a top line conductor were discussing the way a rehearsal was going. Sweet little thing, but she stood up to him really well, without a screaming match or any nonsense. & she was right...

But as for being put off by the greats, my goal is different. I want to be able to play well enough to join in when my wife and kids play... No aspirations to be great, but I do want to be able to express myself through music.

But as for being put off by the greats, my goal is different. I want to be able to play well enough to join in when my wife and kids play... No aspirations to be great, but I do want to be able to express myself through music.

That makes a lot of sense to me. My goal for now is to learn to play well enough that at least some people, apart from friends and family (and fellow saxophone nuts!), would find it worth their while to stop and listen for a few minutes. Of course, if they then decide I'm so good-looking they want to make me a megastar, so much the better ;}.

Having played all of a two-bar cadenza in the middle of our Gershwin medley, and done a few little performances with my sax quartet, I'm now itching to do a solo - and that's my next ambition. I had been preparing a performance of the Poirot theme for last summer, but my sax had a poorly bottom Bb, I had a poorly wallet and the venue's piano was known to be out of tune, so we left it. This time, we were just too busy. Think I might have another bash this summer, though. I know my friend the pianist is quite keen.

But now I don't need to learn to play the violin anymore because Hilary does it just fine.

I don't understand. Why bother doing anything then if you stop doing it because someone else does it better? There will always be someone who can sing better, walk further, run faster..... I could go on (obviously)