support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner What is Playing dirty please?

BeBopSop

Locality
worcester england
Hi all,What is meant by 'playing dirty' I was once told I was doing this a long time ago, but never quite understood the meaning,
thanks and (keep it clean)

When you put a 1c coin in the 1st trumpet mouthpiece.

Its when you add vocal or aural effects to the sound of the sax, for example, the use of flutter tongue or the growl, to "dirty up" the sound. Rock, Rock and Roll and the Blues are where I feel a dirty sound comes into its own. Rasping, screaming solos and note bending all help to dirty up your environment! Pure filth. Bring it on!
A good example for me, would be Bobby Keys playing on Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones. In my opinion, Keys uses a combination of both of these effects to very good use. He manages to use the flutter tongue and the growl at the same time as well as bending some of the sustained notes that he plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its when you add vocal or aural effects to the sound of the sax, for example, the use of flutter tongue or the growl, to "dirty up" the sound. Rock, Rock and Roll and the Blues are where I feel a dirty sound comes into its own. Rasping, screaming solos and note bending all help to dirty up your environment! Pure filth. Bring it on!
A good example for me, would be Bobby Keys playing on Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones. In my opinion, Keys uses a combination of both of these effects to very good use. He manages to use the flutter tongue and the growl at the same time as well as bending some of the sustained notes hat he plays.

Hi Taz, I understand what you say, but by me playing dirty was a remark said to me as a fault with my playing by someone I had a lesson with a time ago?

Well, I suppose it would have depended on the circumstance. If it was a mellow piece that warranted a smooth, soft and "pure" sound, then yes it may well have been. If however if it was a piece that required you to sell your soul to the devil, then it was probably a well deserved compliment!

Well, I suppose it would have depended on the circumstance. If it was a mellow piece that warranted a smooth, soft and "pure" sound, then yes it may well have been. If however if it was a piece that required you to sell your soul to the devil, then it was probably a well deserved compliment!

yes the first (mellow bit) it wasnt a compliment! I took it at the time I was tu tu ing to hard/brash and loud, but wasnt sure?

Is it something you still do?
I wonder then, if your lacking in diaphragmatic support when you play? Some times as your embouchure develops you can over blow when you start a note. This could even be a reed choice problem, if your reeds are too hard for instance.

For me it's when you're not playing at the right pitch and no clean tone. I do this all the time! And I love it!!!

There is a good song that is called "I Play Dirty" (Pearl Woods) by Little Milton, from 1969. A good tenorsolo in that song by a saxman called Ben Branch. Pretty dirty solo.

Thomas

Is it something you still do?
I wonder then, if your lacking in diaphragmatic support when you play? Some times as your embouchure develops you can over blow when you start a note. This could even be a reed choice problem, if your reeds are too hard for instance.

Yes, I might still be doing it, reeds not too hard though,I will put a sound clip on soon as I dont have any critics here.

As a musician and a teacher "clean playing" means clear and crisp articulation, rhythmic accuracy, and good precision when playing with other instruments. This would be the opposite of "sloppy playing". Perhaps this is the point of what the author of the comment was trying to get across.