support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Watermill jazz club, dorking surrey

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
Following on a recent thread about jazz venues, I thought I'd report on an outing Mrs YC and I had last night. The Watermill jazz club in Dorking, Surrey, is a very nice venue, housed in the Friends Provident company's social club. A big bar area and capacity in the main music room for about 120 people. Nice people running it, very friendly. You can reserve places by phone whether or not a member. Jazz every Thursday evening. All sorts off styles, plus free jam sessions once a month on Sunday PMs. See http://www.watermilljazz.co.uk/index.htm.

Last night was especially good as it was veteran tenor player Tommy Whittle plus Karen Sharp and her quartet. Tommy may be 80 and forgetting the names of tunes, but still a great swinging player. I'd be happy to play a few of his phrases now, let alone 20 years time. Karen, as many of you will know, is Ian HDs sax teacher and she has run the jazz workshops that some of us have attended, as well as being a tenor and bari player of distinction. It really was a great evening. Some nice slow ballads for solos, but they took off on numbers like I Remember April (in bossa rhythm) and Mulligan's Bernie's Tune.

Pete King is listed for 21 October and I think I'm going to get my reservation in early.:welldone
YC

Col, it sounds like a great venue so I've added it to the Breakfastroom Jam and Gig map, along with your review. Thanks mate.

Such ignorance!
Part of the CaSLM's Mission Statement reads, "also dedicated to allaying the myth that "Bernie's Tune" was written by Gerard Mulligan. It was written by Bernard Miller." ;}

Quite so Bill and my apologies. That reinforces the maxim that you should never publish without coroborating the source! The mistake is perhaps understandable when you see that Miller was fairly obscure and his tune was not copyrighted unti 1953, although Mulligan first recorded it in 1952. Perhaps the copyright was after Lieber and Stoller added words.

Bit like Jelly Roll Morton, who claimed - probably rightly - that he wrote Tiger Rag years before the ODJB claimed it. I can't imagine Nick La Rocca writing anything so complex, but the different themes are much more Morton like, being based as he said, on a quadrille. Morton did of course spend the last years of his life fighting the Melrose brothers and ASCAP for his due share of royalties on many of his compositions.
YC